The Student Room Group

choosing between 2 uni courses

Hey there, I'm planning on going to uni next September (2024) and I have been doing lots of research on courses and places to go but I still can't make up my mind on what course to study. I know I have time but I just don't know how to choose. I'm interested in anything environmental sciences, marine biology and geoscience but then again these are three different types of courses. Does anyone have any tips on how to decide or has been in this situation???
Hey! Have you been to any open days? If you're applying for 2024, now is the perfect time to go :smile: At an open day, you can chat to students from each course, chat to the lecturers, see facilities and get a feel for what it's actually like to study that course.

Otherwise, I'd say read some books/articles on the syllabus or related to the subject. That way you'll be able to see what academic texts interest you most. A lot of academic text can be quite dense and difficult to read, so if you find this interesting then you should find studying the subject in depth interesting.

Hope that helps!
yes I have booked some open days but I hadn't thought about reading academic texts so I will take a look at that! thank u
Original post by purple_1710
Hey there, I'm planning on going to uni next September (2024) and I have been doing lots of research on courses and places to go but I still can't make up my mind on what course to study. I know I have time but I just don't know how to choose. I'm interested in anything environmental sciences, marine biology and geoscience but then again these are three different types of courses. Does anyone have any tips on how to decide or has been in this situation???

Hey!
I can definitely understand your dilemma. Choosing a course can be a daunting task, but don't worry, you still have plenty of time.
My advice would be to start by researching each of the courses you are interested in and see which one excites you the most. Look into the modules, practical work, and career prospects for each course. Additionally, try to attend open days and speak with current students to get a better idea of what the courses are really like.
It's important to choose a course that you are passionate about, as it will make studying much more enjoyable. At Southampton, we have excellent environmental science, marine biology and geoscience courses, all with fantastic opportunities for practical fieldwork and research. In the end, trust your instincts and choose the course that feels right for you. Good luck with your decision and hope to see you at Southampton next year!

Best Wishes
Priya :smile:
Postgraduate Ambassador
University of Southampton
hi Priya,
that's funny, I actually went to the Southampton campus tours two weeks ago, definitely on my list :smile:
thank you for the tips!

Hello,

Confused about what course to choose or Uni to go to? That's completely normal and most people go through this phase.
Think about:
Entry requirements and grades.
Course content.
The university or college.
Tuition and other fees.
Opportunities offered (such as placements, study abroad, industry links)
What you'll be studying for (such as BA/BSc, master's)

It would also be good to as anyone you personally known that has gone to uni and how they dealt with, go to open days, think about where you see yourself in say 5 or 10 years. Remember, there's no pressure neither is there any right or wrong course or school, take your time while making your decision. Hope this helps!

Benedicta,
University of Sunderland Student Ambassador.
Reply 6

Go on an Open Day offering talks about these degrees or where you can talk to students. Read the course contentt carefully

Exeter is worth a look too

Environ: https://www.exeter.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/envsci/envsci/

Marine: https://www.exeter.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/geography/marine/

Geo: https://www.exeter.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/geology/environmental/

Hi @purple_1710,

I'm currently a second-year chemistry student at Lancaster Uni. When I was applying to uni I had a very similar dilemma to you.

My first advice would be to go to open days and offer holder events to get a feel of the departments and the uni as a whole because you'll be spending a lot of time there. This is the thing that helped me decide on Lancaster most. Also, go over the compulsory and optional modules for the courses you're interested in at the universities you're interested in.

That being said, since you are interested in a wide range of science courses, have you considered natural science? Although I don't personally study it, I know that at Lancaster, it would allow you to pick modules from different disciplines like environmental science, geography and biology. It could be a really good option for you so you can keep your interests varied, instead of picking one subject straight away. This is the link to Lancaster's natural science page if this sounds like something you could be interested in: https://www.lancaster.ac.uk/natural-sciences/

Hope this helps
-Beth (Lancaster Student Ambassador)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending