The Student Room Group

Sustainability consulting: are MOOCs or micromasters valued?

Hello everyone,

I graduated with a 1st class honours in accounting & finance in 2018. Since then, I've worked as an English teacher, gained some life experience and studied foreign languages.

During my undergrad, I studied environmental reporting. I got 90% in the module and it was easily the highlight of my degree. I've now decided I would like to start a career in sustainability consulting.

My first hurdle is that I have no relevant experience or qualifications. I'm due to start an MSc in sustainability and management in Sep, which addresses the latter, and I'm also looking for voluntary positions, but am struggling due to my lack of relevant skills or experience. On the plus side, as part of the master's I'll be able to do a professional project instead of a dissertation, which will give me some experience.

I've recently lost a lot of my teaching hours due to Covid and have got more free time. So, I was thinking about doing a micromaster's called 'Business and Operations for a Circular Bio-Economy'. My reasoning is that it will be the first thing related to sustainability on my CV and would at least show a potential employer that I have a real interest in sustainability. If I then wanted to volunteer alongside my master's, at least I would have a qualification under my belt. Plus, since it's a bit more specific than 'sustainability', it doesn't overlap with the master's.

Does anyone have any experience with MOOCs in sustainability and know whether it would be the £500 and 3-month commitment for me?

Thanks.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending