The Student Room Group

Free summer schools for current Year 11s

Hi, I’m a Year 11 student hoping to attend a (free or cheap) summer school this summer. My research has been fruitless so far as all summer schools are either costly or for year 12s and 13s. I’d be happy going to any summer school but would prefer to study an econ/maths/finance course. Does anyone know of any suitable please?
Reply 1
Most free Summer Schools are for widening participation students, and usually for Year 12s - so do you live in the sort of postcode area or go to the sort of school where that might apply?

There are Year 12 Summer Schools open to other students - but they are not free - example - Step into Bath
When I was looking they were for students on free school meals or very low income.

theforage.com has online work experience for over 16s with many companies. The point is to see for yourself how these companies operate, and what you would do in this line of work at that specific company. You can take your time doing it. They give you all the guidance needed, even if you don't fully understand it at this point.
Reply 3
Or, if you are just looking for something useful to do over the summer, there are good BBC podcasts here - BBC Radio 4 - Understand, The Economy, Welcome to Understand: The Economy
and there are lots of online Moocs (short free courses from Unis) that you could do :
An Introduction to the Principles of Microeconomics - Online Course- FutureLearn
Sustainable Finance: Using the Power of Money to Change the World - FutureLear
Reply 4
Original post by McGinger
Most free Summer Schools are for widening participation students, and usually for Year 12s - so do you live in the sort of postcode area or go to the sort of school where that might apply?

There are Year 12 Summer Schools open to other students - but they are not free - example - Step into Bath

I’m not sure about the area I live in but my school postcode allows me to receive contextual offers if that’s what you’re asking?
Reply 5
Original post by BreadForce
When I was looking they were for students on free school meals or very low income.

theforage.com has online work experience for over 16s with many companies. The point is to see for yourself how these companies operate, and what you would do in this line of work at that specific company. You can take your time doing it. They give you all the guidance needed, even if you don't fully understand it at this point.

Oooh that sounds useful thank you :biggrin:
Reply 6
Original post by McGinger
Or, if you are just looking for something useful to do over the summer, there are good BBC podcasts here - BBC Radio 4 - Understand, The Economy, Welcome to Understand: The Economy
and there are lots of online Moocs (short free courses from Unis) that you could do :
An Introduction to the Principles of Microeconomics - Online Course- FutureLearn
Sustainable Finance: Using the Power of Money to Change the World - FutureLear

Woah this is amazing thank you so much! I’ll definitely take a look at these soon :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending