The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by forbearne
unfortunately none specifically for RUK applicants - their stats last year showed 537 offers overall for undergrad medicine - I think the reason being that last year was the first year that Edinburgh actually did interviews (they looked at UCAT+grades even more heavily). I think it's not too much of a leap to assume Edinburgh would have carried out similar numbers to what they're offering us this year (650 interview places), giving a pretty high post interview offer percentage of 82.6%.

Thanks! I'd come to the same sort of conclusion, do you know whether the academic component (25% overall weighting) is split equally between GCSE grades and predicted A level results? Also, do you reckon the course is heavily PBL (like Manchester or Glasgow) or still quite traditional with PBL playing a supportive role?
Original post by 123Emilyyyy
Thanks! I'd come to the same sort of conclusion, do you know whether the academic component (25% overall weighting) is split equally between GCSE grades and predicted A level results? Also, do you reckon the course is heavily PBL (like Manchester or Glasgow) or still quite traditional with PBL playing a supportive role?

Yep, I believe academic component is like that - check this doc though: https://www.ed.ac.uk/files/atoms/files/applying_for_medicine_2021_low_res.pdf

While I'm not too sure about PBL, the course is compulsory 6 years (so year 3 is compulsory intercalation) but there's clinical contact from year 1 - I'd say it's integrated with not a massive PBL focus (pretty sure PBL is actually compulsory for med schools to do - at least 1 session a year is what a Cambridge med school student said, iirc).
Original post by 123Emilyyyy

Btw I just realised - they don't have any data for interviews for undergrad because the current cycle is the first one in which interviews were carried out so my previous claim of 82.6% could be completely wrong. they did say they gave 650 interviews, I'm emailing them now to see if they can say how many offers they made for 2020
Hi would I have a chance of receiving an interview?

A Level predictions: A*A*A*
UCAT: 2640
Band 1 SJ
Hi, could anyone advise me of my chances applying to Edinburgh?

GCSEs: 99999888766
A level predictions: A*A*A
UCAT: 2770 and band 1 SJT

Many thanks
Original post by mia.chereau
Hi would I have a chance of receiving an interview?

A Level predictions: A*A*A*
UCAT: 2640
Band 1 SJ

Original post by earthland
Hi, could anyone advise me of my chances applying to Edinburgh?

GCSEs: 99999888766
A level predictions: A*A*A
UCAT: 2770 and band 1 SJT

Many thanks

Edinburgh probably demands the highest stats of anywhere. Average UCAT score was 715 historically and that’s very likely combined with full marks for academics (A*A*A*) predictions.

You both have safer options.
Reply 66
I have a UCAT score of 2590 Band 2 for STJ and IB predicted scores of 43/45. Should I apply to Edinburgh?
Original post by pluengo
I have a UCAT score of 2590 Band 2 for STJ and IB predicted scores of 43/45. Should I apply to Edinburgh?

Please post in this dedicated thread (you're in it now) for Edinburgh queries, thank you :smile:

Post originally created by ecolier.
Original post by pluengo

Average UCAT scores are about 715. It’s not a smart choice for you unfortunately.
Reply 69
Original post by Laycity
Average UCAT scores are about 715. It’s not a smart choice for you unfortunately.

Do you think that applying with an application that would have received the max academic and ucat score in the past but also has a band 3 in SJT is wise? I'm wondering how much the band 3 compromises me, given that the rest of my application is strong.
Original post by ba869
Do you think that applying with an application that would have received the max academic and ucat score in the past but also has a band 3 in SJT is wise? I'm wondering how much the band 3 compromises me, given that the rest of my application is strong.

The SJT band counts for 15% of pre interview and 7.5% of post interview score so is heavily used. If you had full academics and were top decile (Edinburgh use their own) it may be enough but still looks risky to me. You’d also have to do better than most others at interview if you did get one.
Hi, I need some help knowing how likely I am to get into Edinburgh uni for medicine. So I can decide whether to apply or not. At GCSE I got 7 9s, 2 8s and 1 7. And an A in additional maths. I am predicted A*A*A for bio chem and maths. And got an A in my AS further maths.UCAT - 2580 and band 2 SJT I have work experience (1 in hospital, 1 in field medicine). But my main work experience got cancelled due to Corona :frown: Thanks in advance for the advice :smile:
(edited 3 years ago)
How much do they care about ucat, esp with the deciles out. I got Band 2, which isn't in the top 30%. Will I be ok?
Original post by aroundanaxis
How much do they care about ucat, esp with the deciles out. I got Band 2, which isn't in the top 30%. Will I be ok?

I'm not sure about Edinburgh, but it is worth checking whether they set a threshold or whether they go off the top 30th Percentile. They usually accept Band 1 and 2 okay.
hi! im in a similar situation to you right now, I got similar gcses, same predicted and got 2660 and band 1 in my ucat. personally Im not sure Edinburgh would be likely to give an offer due to them usually only taking students who are above the 70th percentile in the ucat, im still applying as my aspirational choice, even tho I probs won't get in, so im changing my other options to lower threshold unis and bmat ones too, I hope this helps let me know if I can help any further :smile:
On Edi's website: "Once all the scores are received we rank them, divide the cohort into deciles (ten equal groups) and allocate a score. We also allocate a score to your situational judgement banding. The points are then added to your academic score to contribute towards your final ranking for shortlisting and possible invitation to one of our Assessment Days. The total score an applicant achieved may be looked at again when final decisions are made and there are applicants with the same ranked score and limited places left to offer."

Do they specify anywhere how they score it and what the threshold is? Like how many points they give for a 9 at gcse etc
Got 9999999888 at GCSE (seven 9s and three 8s), predicted A*A*A and got 2910 and band 2 on UCAT. What are my chances?
Reply 77
Original post by aroundanaxis
On Edi's website: "Once all the scores are received we rank them, divide the cohort into deciles (ten equal groups) and allocate a score. We also allocate a score to your situational judgement banding. The points are then added to your academic score to contribute towards your final ranking for shortlisting and possible invitation to one of our Assessment Days. The total score an applicant achieved may be looked at again when final decisions are made and there are applicants with the same ranked score and limited places left to offer."

Do they specify anywhere how they score it and what the threshold is? Like how many points they give for a 9 at gcse etc

Academics are 50% (presumably half GCSE and half A level), UCAT 35% and SJT 15%
Previously you needed 8A*s for full GCSE marks, with no Bs and A*A*A predicted. Average UCAT for offers has been around 710+
You have been able to drop no more than around 10-15% of total marks prior to them starting interviewing and stats on last year's thread do not suggest things dropped by much
I'm applying to Edinburgh but their focus on SJT makes me really worried.
I have SJT Band 2, UCAT 3070 and IB predicted 45/45.
Should I apply?
Hi, I’m worried about the SJT too.
UCAT: 3050, Band 2
N5s: AAAAAAAAA (can’t get A*s)
Highers: AAAAA (was also School Dux)
AH: Maths, Chemistry, Biology
Do you think it’s worth applying?

Latest

Trending

Trending