The Student Room Group

Funding for medicine as a second degree

How much funding would I be entitled to if i studied medicine as a second degree? My first degree was a 4yr bachelors which I completed in 2020.

My understanding is that if I got admitted onto a 4yr GEM programme then I would need to pay £4k in tuition and SFE + NHS would cover the remainder of the tuition fees. I would also receive a maintenance loan + bursary from NHS.

How does funding work for 5yr standard entry medicine courses? I know that SFE does not fund tuition fees for graduates, but they do provide maintenance loans. I tried enquiring about this over the phone and I was told I'd only be entitled to 2 years (5 - 4 + 1 = 2) worth of maintenance loans. Is that correct? My understanding was that maintenance loans would be provided throughout the whole duration of the course, even for graduates?

MedicMind states (https://www.medicmind.co.uk/medicine-ucas-guide/how-is-graduate-entry-medicine-funded/):
"For the first four years you will eligible to apply to Student Finance England for a full maintenance loan. The amount you receive will depend on your circumstances and where you’re studying.
As with GEM courses, it’s important to consider the Student Loans Company criteria for being classified as an independent student. If this applies to you it means that your parents household income will not be assessed for means testing."

However, this contradicts what the lady told me over the phone. Could someone clarify this please?Thanks 🙂
(edited 3 months ago)
Original post by AngryChicken1952
How much funding would I be entitled to if i studied medicine as a second degree? My first degree was a 4yr bachelors which I completed in 2020.

My understanding is that if I got admitted onto a 4yr GEM programme then I would need to pay £4k in tuition and SFE + NHS would cover the remainder of the tuition fees. I would also receive a maintenance loan + bursary from NHS.

How does funding work for 5yr standard entry medicine courses? I know that SFE does not fund tuition fees for graduates, but they do provide maintenance loans. I tried enquiring about this over the phone and I was told I'd only be entitled to 2 years (5 - 4 + 1 = 2) worth of maintenance loans. Is that correct? My understanding was that maintenance loans would be provided throughout the whole duration of the course, even for graduates?

MedicMind states (https://www.medicmind.co.uk/medicine-ucas-guide/how-is-graduate-entry-medicine-funded/):
"For the first four years you will eligible to apply to Student Finance England for a full maintenance loan. The amount you receive will depend on your circumstances and where you’re studying.
As with GEM courses, it’s important to consider the Student Loans Company criteria for being classified as an independent student. If this applies to you it means that your parents household income will not be assessed for means testing."

However, this contradicts what the lady told me over the phone. Could someone clarify this please?Thanks 🙂

Hi there,

Can you confirm the full name of the course and what university you will attend? Just to confirm you already hold an undergraduate degree from your previous course?

Thanks, Drew
Original post by Drew SLC
Hi there,

Can you confirm the full name of the course and what university you will attend? Just to confirm you already hold an undergraduate degree from your previous course?

Thanks, Drew

Hi Drew,

I graduated with a BSc (Hons) Computer Science degree from University of Edinburgh in 2020.

I'm looking at these two courses:
University of Nottingham A101 Graduate Entry Medicine
University of Plymouth A100 Medicine

Thanks
Hi Drew,

I graduated with a BSc (Hons) Computer Science degree from University of Edinburgh in 2020.

I'm looking at these two courses:
University of Nottingham A101 Graduate Entry Medicine
University of Plymouth A100 Medicine

Thanks

Hi there,

These courses are classed as an expectation course and you would be able to apply for the Tuition Fee Loan and Maintenance Loan. Here is a break down of what you can apply for.

Tuition Fee Loan.

Year 1 The student will have to self fund the first £3,465, however a tuition fee loan will be available for the remainder of up to £5,785.
Years 2-4 - The first £3,715 will be paid by the Department of Health and a tuition fee loan will be available for the remainder of up to £5,535.

Maintenance Loan.

Year 1 The student can apply for a Full Means Tested Maintenance Loan and Supplementary Grants, They are not eligible for a Maintenance Grant.

Years 2-4 The student can apply for the Income Assessed NHS Bursary and Supplementary Grants from the NHS. They can only apply to SFE for a Reduced Rate Maintenance Loan.

Thanks, Drew
Hi there,

These courses are classed as an expectation course and you would be able to apply for the Tuition Fee Loan and Maintenance Loan. Here is a break down of what you can apply for.

Tuition Fee Loan.

Year 1 The student will have to self fund the first £3,465, however a tuition fee loan will be available for the remainder of up to £5,785.
Years 2-4 - The first £3,715 will be paid by the Department of Health and a tuition fee loan will be available for the remainder of up to £5,535.

Maintenance Loan.

Year 1 The student can apply for a Full Means Tested Maintenance Loan and Supplementary Grants, They are not eligible for a Maintenance Grant.

Years 2-4 The student can apply for the Income Assessed NHS Bursary and Supplementary Grants from the NHS. They can only apply to SFE for a Reduced Rate Maintenance Loan.

Thanks, Drew

Thanks Drew.

I think the information you've provided applies to the A101 graduate entry medicine course, but it's different for the A100 one because it's 5 years. Can you double check please?
Thanks Drew.

I think the information you've provided applies to the A101 graduate entry medicine course, but it's different for the A100 one because it's 5 years. Can you double check please?

Hi there,

Sorry yes you would only be eligible for this funding for courses that are no longer than 4 years in length. If the course is 5 years you would not get the Tuition Fee Loan but you can apply for the Maintenance Loan Funding and it would be the same Maintenance Loan you would get as a normal Undergraduate Course.

Thanks, Drew
Hi there,

Sorry yes you would only be eligible for this funding for courses that are no longer than 4 years in length. If the course is 5 years you would not get the Tuition Fee Loan but you can apply for the Maintenance Loan Funding and it would be the same Maintenance Loan you would get as a normal Undergraduate Course.

Thanks, Drew

How many years of maintenance loans would I receive if I got accepted onto the 5yr course? Would they cover the whole duration of the course or just 2 years?
Hi there,

It would be fully funded from years 1-4 however, in years 5 it would be the Reduced Rate Maintenance Loan Loan that is awarded for that year only.

Thanks, Clare

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending