Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    So in my gcse class of english and maths, we had as-level students...aren't you supposed to get like 5 a-c grades, or do some people do AS-levels even if they didn't get good enough gsce grades ?

ReputationRep:
    People do AS levels in my school with 0 A*-C grades. It's up to the school who they decide to let take A-levels.

ReputationRep:
    You can get 5 A*-C grades without passing English or Maths.
    I know quite a few people who retook their Maths GCSE in Year 12

ReputationRep:
    Well, quite apart from anything else, plenty of colleges'll have you if you don't get 5 Cs round our way, and in some Sixth Forms there're schemes whereby you can do a year of a business BTec or something and then do your A-Levels, again even without five cees. Otherwise, they'll just be people who got five cees in other subjects, but need to get Maths or English up to a C to meet some entry requirement or other.

Welcome to TSR, by the way, OP.

ReputationRep:
    Those 5 A-C grades probably don't have to be in Maths or English to enter into the A Level course. However as those are the only two useful GCSEs to have in terms of employment, it is worth resitting if they are failed.

ReputationRep:
    if you have 4 a-cs in a college where grades are really let's say low....can you still get a chance ?

cos i don't want to do BTEC,i don't even know what i want my future career to be..whereas, there are more options when doing A-levels

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Checkmate121)
    if you have 4 a-cs in a college where grades are really let's say low....can you still get a chance ?
    No idea: worth asking though. In some areas of the country, where there are no school sixth forms (Richmond, I think is an example?) it's going to be harder to get in for an A-Level course. Where I am, the colleges'll have you with less than five Cs for A-Levels, although obviously there are caveats. Like I say, worth ringing up and asking.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Dactyl)
    No idea: worth asking though. In some areas of the country, where there are no school sixth forms (Richmond, I think is an example?) it's going to be harder to get in for an A-Level course. Where I am, the colleges'll have you with less than five Cs for A-Levels, although obviously there are caveats. Like I say, worth ringing up and asking.
    Im going tommrow to ask, on results day the lady said i have to do gcse higher in maths because i have gotten a C, and i can choose 3 as levels, but i am still not sure, but i sure do not want to do a BTEC course.

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.