The Student Room Group

Why do I have more friends in year 11 then my own year?

So I'm year 8 ik young but I have no friends In my year I have more friends in year 10 and 11 and I jst want to know if its like weird or anything. Also is anyone has any idea why I find it easier as a year 8 to make friends in year 11 and 10 I would love to hear it
Reply 1
So you're about 12yrs old and your friends are around 15/16yrs old, that is weird. I'd be more interested in what a 15/16yr old has in common with a 12yr old? what do you discuss when you're with them? what things do you have in common?

My other question is are you tall for your age? sometimes that can impact on the age of friends you attract, if you seem taller /older than you actually are.
Original post by Idfkwhoknows
So I'm year 8 ik young but I have no friends In my year I have more friends in year 10 and 11 and I jst want to know if its like weird or anything. Also is anyone has any idea why I find it easier as a year 8 to make friends in year 11 and 10 I would love to hear it
no idea, i find this so weird bc when i was doing GCSEs, i found it weird to be around a year 8 and couldnt relate to them at all. Do you have an older sibling and thats how you met them? If not then it is quite weird, not in a bad way but just in a peculiar way.
Original post by cherrycosmos
no idea, i find this so weird bc when i was doing GCSEs, i found it weird to be around a year 8 and couldnt relate to them at all. Do you have an older sibling and thats how you met them? If not then it is quite weird, not in a bad way but just in a peculiar way.

I do have an older sibling in year 10 but he's not mates with the year 11s I'm mates with I don't think he actually even knows my mate
Original post by Makro
So you're about 12yrs old and your friends are around 15/16yrs old, that is weird. I'd be more interested in what a 15/16yr old has in common with a 12yr old? what do you discuss when you're with them? what things do you have in common?
My other question is are you tall for your age? sometimes that can impact on the age of friends you attract, if you seem taller /older than you actually are.

No I'm not tall for my age I'm actually kind of short and we normally talk abt anything the year 11s I'm friends with has the sane maths teacher as me so we sometimes talk abt that
I’m concerned at the year 10/11s intentions when pursuing a friendship with you? I’m in year 13 and if I ever talk to a year 12, it’s mostly because they want advice on school/uni admissions. even a 1 year gap shows a huge difference between us so the lack of common interests with your friends is a red flag imo. I would deffo try and make friends with people in your class because once the year 10/11s leave, it’ll be a bit lonely if you haven’t made other friends in school.
Original post by raremono
I’m concerned at the year 10/11s intentions when pursuing a friendship with you? I’m in year 13 and if I ever talk to a year 12, it’s mostly because they want advice on school/uni admissions. even a 1 year gap shows a huge difference between us so the lack of common interests with your friends is a red flag imo. I would deffo try and make friends with people in your class because once the year 10/11s leave, it’ll be a bit lonely if you haven’t made other friends in school.

I understand where ur coming from but the intentions of there friendships of them being friends with me is nothing bad and ik that bc I know them well enough but the problem is with my year they are well ********s most of them so its harder for me to make friends with them so yea
I understand where ur coming from but the intentions of there friendships of them being friends with me is nothing bad and ik that bc I know them well enough but the problem is with my year they are well ********s most of them so its harder for me to make friends with them so yea

Annoying*
do you have any idea why no one in your year wants to hang out with you? or did you just not bother to try?
do you have any idea why no one in your year wants to hang out with you? or did you just not bother to try?

I have bothered to try and no I don't know after me and one of my mates had a big argument in my year we stopped talking and then no one else wanted to be my mate so I'm guessing something to do with that
I have bothered to try and no I don't know after me and one of my mates had a big argument in my year we stopped talking and then no one else wanted to be my mate so I'm guessing something to do with that
probably but it may also have smth to do with your older friends haha. to everyone else in your year, it’ll look pretty intimidating to be friends w someone who hangs out with older years.

my advice- there’s annoying people in every year group but you’ll have at least 1 “sane” person in your year who you can be friends with. if not, you can always make friends though after skl activities etc.
probably but it may also have smth to do with your older friends haha. to everyone else in your year, it’ll look pretty intimidating to be friends w someone who hangs out with older years.
my advice- there’s annoying people in every year group but you’ll have at least 1 “sane” person in your year who you can be friends with. if not, you can always make friends though after skl activities etc.

I don't really do after skl activities and ik people who are alr bc I do talk to people in some lessons but the problem is they don't want to hang out with me outside of that lesson
I don't really do after skl activities and ik people who are alr bc I do talk to people in some lessons but the problem is they don't want to hang out with me outside of that lesson
they’re not gonna say “hey do u wanna hang out after lesson” like an npc. all it takes is just one lesson where you guys vibe a lot, and then you can continue the convo outside of lesson and hang out. that’s what one of my best friends did when we she joined my skl (even though I had zero intentions of making new friends). I didn’t even realize she became a part of my friendship group because it was so natural. you fr just gotta put the effort in and ignore social anxiety.
they’re not gonna say “hey do u wanna hang out after lesson” like an npc. all it takes is just one lesson where you guys vibe a lot, and then you can continue the convo outside of lesson and hang out. that’s what one of my best friends did when we she joined my skl (even though I had zero intentions of making new friends). I didn’t even realize she became a part of my friendship group because it was so natural. you fr just gotta put the effort in and ignore social anxiety.

The thing is it never happens like that bc most of the time I want to be upstairs at my break walking abt and not jst sat downstairs talking but the people in the lessons that are alr are to scared to get into trouble to do that so yea
The thing is it never happens like that bc most of the time I want to be upstairs at my break walking abt and not jst sat downstairs talking but the people in the lessons that are alr are to scared to get into trouble to do that so yea
Do you want friends your age? Because if you do, unfortunately in your case, you are going to have to suck it up and sit downstairs with them. You won't be able to make any friends if you are just isolating yourself from them and you hope they come to you. I get that its outside of your comfort zone but sometimes making friends doesn't come naturally at first bc you have to put the effort in.
Do you want friends your age? Because if you do, unfortunately in your case, you are going to have to suck it up and sit downstairs with them. You won't be able to make any friends if you are just isolating yourself from them and you hope they come to you. I get that its outside of your comfort zone but sometimes making friends doesn't come naturally at first bc you have to put the effort in.

I know where ur coming from but obviously u don't know me in person and yes that's fine but I can't stay still and sit somewhere when I have the freedom to walk around so yea
bruh idk why people are telling you its weird cus its not ya'll are in the same school same corridors same lunches its not that deep, were all kids in highschool if your friends were college age then yeah thatd be um weird, but its not in your case, youre probably just more mature and relate with them or ya'll just click good its not that deep THOUGH they will leave pretty soon this year and you still have like 3 years to go in highschool so id suggest trying to make new freinds in your year grp like just being a bit more open to convo in classes oh what did u get for this question etc and convos start from there and youll get some freinds after a couple months cus year 8 is still pretty fresh people still finding freinds its normal
(edited 1 month ago)
Original post by hibyehereforasec
bruh idk why people are telling you its weird cus its not ya'll are in the same school same corridors same lunches its not that deep, were all kids in highschool if your freinds were college age then yeah thatd be um weird, but its not, youre probably just more mature and relate with them or ya'll just click good its not that deep THOUGH they will leave pretty soon this year and you still have like 3 years to go in highschool so id suggest trying to make new freinds in your year grp like just being a bit more open to convo in classes oh what did u get for this question etc and convos start from there and youll get some freinds after a couple months cus year 8 is still pretty fresh people still finding freinds its normal

Well yea thanks for this and yea my head of year keeps telling me its gonna be bad for my mental health when they leave in a few months but I'll be fine and thanks for saying this
everybody goes thru this atleast once and sometimes even a couple times in highschool trust me, some recover and find new freinds, others fix their broken freindships and rekindle, then few just stay that way alone but youre in year 8 so pretty fresh you have time, relax
(edited 1 month ago)

Quick Reply

Latest