The Student Room Group

is it weird to go to uni at 19?

i know this might sound silly but i’m rlly nervous. basically, so i did a level 2 business course last year and am now in a 2 year level 3 business course. so that’ll mean i’ll be going to uni in 2024 instead of this year like many others my age. and i was wondering is this was weird? it’s feels weird to me idk why, maybe it’s cause most people i know are going.
Reply 1
No, it is not weird many other people go to uni at even older ages, don't feel bad about it, you will be fine.
Not at all, many people take gap years, resit a year, do level 2 first and therefore go at 19. People also go later in life as a mature student, so don't worry about it!
I mean some people might turn/already be 19 year's old when going to university without having taken any gap years or resits.

If you're from England and are born in early September or your parents chose to make you start a year later because you're born late on in the academic year.
Reply 4
Of course not.

I went at 23.
Reply 5
Original post by itsxleahxo
i know this might sound silly but i’m rlly nervous. basically, so i did a level 2 business course last year and am now in a 2 year level 3 business course. so that’ll mean i’ll be going to uni in 2024 instead of this year like many others my age. and i was wondering is this was weird? it’s feels weird to me idk why, maybe it’s cause most people i know are going.

No! In fact after my A-levels I will start university and I’ll turn 19 probably before the uni year has started (born in early sep) so age doesn’t matter!
Reply 6
Original post by NerdAlert83
No, it is not weird many other people go to uni at even older ages, don't feel bad about it, you will be fine.

thank u for replying!! i just feel silly cause my family and friends keep asking me why i’m going to uni “late” and it caused me to overthink !!
Reply 7
Original post by thrivingfrog
Not at all, many people take gap years, resit a year, do level 2 first and therefore go at 19. People also go later in life as a mature student, so don't worry about it!

okay thank you!! i just get in my head about these sort of things, thank u so much for replying !!
Reply 8
Original post by Talkative Toad
I mean some people might turn/already be 19 year's old when going to university without having taken any gap years or resits.

If you're from England and are born in early September or your parents chose to make you start a year later because you're born late on in the academic year.

yes that is true, i always get really in my head about things like this so i got scared, especially cause family and friends keep asking me why i’m gonna start so “late”
yes that is true, i always get really in my head about things like this so i got scared, especially cause family and friends keep asking me why i’m gonna start so “late”
fair enough
Reply 10
Original post by subbhy
No! In fact after my A-levels I will start university and I’ll turn 19 probably before the uni year has started (born in early sep) so age doesn’t matter!

thanks so much for replying!! i get into my head about silly things sometimes, i was just rlly worried <3
Not weird at all. :smile:
Many people start uni as mature students much older than 20.
The oldest postgrad students in my classes are in their late 70s and early 80s.
Reply 12

My daughter shared a flat with 7 others. Only one had gone directly after school so don’t worrying. Loads of students have had a gap year.

Quite a few ppl take a gap year and some change courses so you’ll be good. 19 is still very young and you’ll definitely be the same age as most of ur peers (not to say going uno after this is bad)
Reply 14
thanks so much for replying!! i get into my head about silly things sometimes, i was just rlly worried <3

Aww Dw about it! :smile:
you will be indistinguishable from the 18 year olds. I can't quite stress how little this matters

Quick Reply

Latest