The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

squid
Remove </sarcasm> and that post = perfect.

Remove </sarcasm> and trolls like you would actually believe I was being serious.
The benefits are there to help her get back to work.

A single mum of 4 kids without a wage who is doing her best to start a business should be entitled to help in my opinion. She made a big deal about how she's declared the £11k she made from selling something the year before and how her benefits had gone down, and how she will declare any money she does make.
squid
If anyone believed that post was serious, they should be castrated. Also, me, a troll?!

Oh, sorry! I thought you meant that you agreed with what I was saying without the sarcasm. Apologies. :smile:
In my opinion, and before people start flaming and trolling it is just that an opinion, you should not start a business until you can afford to, i.e you have worked in a pretty tedious underpayed overworked job like the rest of us for a few years , saved your butt off and saved a little nest egg you can then invest in your own business.

The same goes for having children, what ever happened to having children when you could afford to and were in a good financial place to bring them up, rather than what seems to happen a lot now, which is *I have no money* *oops im preggers* *money and free/dirt cheap council house please* *oh damn i want a new telly best get up the duff again*

It may alll be ideal world stuff and ofc there are exceptions, but if the system changed it wouldnt encourage people to feel they have a right to benefits which are at the end of the day, someone who works a boring 9-5 or similar earning a new wage giving it all up in tax, to feed someone elses kid while they sit on their arse, or in this case arse about having fun making thier own businesses so they dont have to "work for the man" or have a superior to answer to, when it gets tight the go on tv shows begging for investors cash!

Call me cruel , harsh, neg rep me whatever, but why should some of the money i work my butt off for in either retail or office jobs, end up going to someone elses kids?

Think about it, if it wasnt such a well established system that everyone came to expect these days, if you had a child would you really expect someone else you didn't know to help you out with bits of money and provide you with a free house? Or would you think, **** im in trouble, best find a way to earn money with whatever job i can get, ask favours from family and friends with babysitting etc and it might make you think twice before having another one!

wow what a long pointless rant, just the word benefits boils my blood when I think how the system works in a lot of ways, and all the people who find it so easy to take advantage.
Reply 24
sparkle86
Hey all.

Well i'm so angry. Don't know if anyone has just been watching Dragon's Den on BBC2 with Juliet who has created Juliets Interiors. She has just admitted she has a good business and sold her last business last year for £11K, and she is asking for £106,000 to help with her current business and she doesn't take a wage home as she has alot of help from the government, ie benefits!

People like this make me so angry. Some people actually need help from the government which i'm ok with but what i'm not ok with are people like her, using my tax money along with more profits from her own business.

I hope the government see this and stop her bloody benefits now like they did with that Lizzy from Wife Swap a few years ago. If one thing will get me angry the most, it's people wrongly claiming benefits!

Lol. ur so angry at this? Well why dont you go out and do something about it, you.. go you!!

go for it. go you!! gooo you go!!! :yep: :yep:
Reply 25
Thank you prinessmarisa, I totally agree with what you're saying!
Reply 26
sparkle86
Thank you prinessmarisa, I totally agree with what you're saying!

You're an idiot. Did you replace your head in your arse when she said she wasn't taking money from the business, but that at the end of the financial year she then would, and so would have to have her funds cut. That and the idea of benifits is to get someone back to work, not punish them for being at work.
Rhys.
Were you not listening?

She wasn't taking any wages from the business. She wasn't earning money from her job.

When the business is profitable she'll stop getting benefits and take her income from the business instead.

It's exactly what the support is there for.

:ditto:
I would start to get angry if she was getting good wages from her business and still claiming benefits.
I don't understand why people are so het up about this, it's as if people would prefer her to sit on her arse all day and recieve benefits for doing nothing, rather than actually trying to gte herself into the world of work again :s-smilie:
Even when she does earn 60k, she'll still get child benefit.
This is the sort of person we actually need, rather than those that are full time benefit claimers, I.E they do bugger all with their life.
Are you jealous, that she is actually doing something with her life, thanks to the government supporting her?
And unless she actually said she was claiming benefits, she could have a government backed loan supporting her?
Reply 29
princessmarisa
The same goes for having children, what ever happened to having children when you could afford to and were in a good financial place to bring them up, rather than what seems to happen a lot now, which is *I have no money* *oops im preggers* *money and free/dirt cheap council house please* *oh damn i want a new telly best get up the duff again*

It doesn't work like that.

Just to point out - people who work can claim benefits. if I was at work now, I'd be able to claim them.
princessmarisa
In my opinion, and before people start flaming and trolling it is just that an opinion, you should not start a business until you can afford to, i.e you have worked in a pretty tedious underpayed overworked job like the rest of us for a few years , saved your butt off and saved a little nest egg you can then invest in your own business.

It may alll be ideal world stuff and ofc there are exceptions, but if the system changed it wouldnt encourage people to feel they have a right to benefits which are at the end of the day, someone who works a boring 9-5 or similar earning a new wage giving it all up in tax, to feed someone elses kid while they sit on their arse, or in this case arse about having fun making thier own businesses so they dont have to "work for the man" or have a superior to answer to, when it gets tight the go on tv shows begging for investors cash!

Call me cruel , harsh, neg rep me whatever, but why should some of the money i work my butt off for in either retail or office jobs, end up going to someone elses kids?

Think about it, if it wasnt such a well established system that everyone came to expect these days, if you had a child would you really expect someone else you didn't know to help you out with bits of money and provide you with a free house? Or would you think, **** im in trouble, best find a way to earn money with whatever job i can get, ask favours from family and friends with babysitting etc and it might make you think twice before having another one!

wow what a long pointless rant, just the word benefits boils my blood when I think how the system works in a lot of ways, and all the people who find it so easy to take advantage.

Partly agree, but it is undoubtably a good thing to encourage the start-up of new businesses as it benefits the economy. Also, if her business becomes very successful not only will she pay back those benefits and more in the form of tax but could provide jobs in her business for other people who may be claiming benefits and so stop them scrounging off the state (which I totally agree is a shameful practice).

I didn't watch the episode but personally I don't see any problem with a single mother becoming an entrepeneur. After all, it's better than people who sit on low-income benefits their whole lives feeling sorry for themselves when they could be getting an education and contributing to society.
Reply 31
princessmarisa

Well I kind of think the point is she started a business because she couldn't afford to do anything else. She gave up her job had 3 kids then her partner left her while she was preganant with the fourth. Until they are all at school it seems unlikely that she would be able to work, especially in anything other than a low paid part time job that she will still be supplementing with benefits. Starting a business that has the potential to make her lots of money and get her off the state altogther seems to make more sense than encouraging her to work part time in a dead end role that will see her trapped on Income Support for years.

And besides she has paid her NI contributions, she is entitled to help from the state.
Reply 32
fthwyj 6j7e67je6 kryuk6ke68 kr6k r6kr7k8r8
Reply 33
Lychee
And besides she has paid her NI contributions, she is entitled to help from the state.

It doesn't always work this way, unfortunately.:mad:

Latest

Trending

Trending