The Student Room Group

cheapest car insurance for a 1.4 litre engine car

Hi, I currently have a Vauxhall Corsa which I have had for a year, and been driving it with my license since March this year. I'm currently looking at getting a Volkswagen Beetle, however my budget only allows me to get a pre 2010 model which only comes in a 1.4 litre engine and above. My Corsa is a 1.2 litre and costs about £900/£1000 a year on insurance. I'm trying to find somewhere which has a good price for a 1.4 litre engine but I can't find anywhere which is less than £2200. I know it will be more expensive to insure, but I would like something cheaper if possible. Does anyone know of any good insurers which will give me a good quote?
It doesn't work like that, quotes are based on your circumstances and an insures attitude to risk, no one here can sit and reply 'oh this insurer is cheap for 1.4 cars' - even though different insurers will have different positions on different cars, they don't publish what these are as it's sensitive to their business.

One thing Ill say is you are trying too soon, you'll really need to complete your first YEAR of no claim or accident driving to see any movement in price, for now you're essentially still a new driver with 0 years NCB and 0 years driving exp

Another thing is that imo, comparison site results can get a bit screwy if you already have insurance, and there is a definite benefit to actually calling the insurer you are interested in and trying to get a better deal or sort out any issues with your status.
Original post by myarv2
Hi, I currently have a Vauxhall Corsa which I have had for a year, and been driving it with my license since March this year. I'm currently looking at getting a Volkswagen Beetle, however my budget only allows me to get a pre 2010 model which only comes in a 1.4 litre engine and above. My Corsa is a 1.2 litre and costs about £900/£1000 a year on insurance. I'm trying to find somewhere which has a good price for a 1.4 litre engine but I can't find anywhere which is less than £2200. I know it will be more expensive to insure, but I would like something cheaper if possible. Does anyone know of any good insurers which will give me a good quote?

We cant say who will be cheaper for you and whatever car you have. Insurance prices depend on a lot of different factors.
Seeing as its less than a year since you passed your test, id wait until next year, when you have a years no claims bonus. Thats when you will start to see the price come down. By the you will have saved up more money as well, so may be able to get a newer/better/smaller engined beetle and will be able to afford the insurance as well.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending