The Student Room Group

Travel grant

I'm a bit confused as it states "Keep your travel costs as low as possible without being impractical." So would this include taking a direct flight if it's quicker but more expensive - up to how much would be ok as direct flights can be just a 100 more or more than that at busy times. And "up to 3 return journeys between your home and the overseas institution during a full academic year abroad" would this mean a return flight has to be booked at first together and then claimed back, or can they be booked separately eg. One single flight to fly out at the start of the academic year and claimed to be reimbursed (save for the £303) and another booked later to return to the uk around Christmas for example and fully reimbursed (so the two separate flights counted as return) as plans could change later down the line and I'm not sure if flexible tickets would be reimbursed as they are also more expensive? Also, if there were a layover in another country, how long would be acceptable, eg 24 hrs, 48 etc? I'd appreciate if this could be clarified
Hi there,

The class and method of travel should be deemed reasonable (ie no business class,) standard economy is expected, if no hold luggage is included in the flight price we will cover the cost of 1 hold bag (general guide is up to 23KG). However if enhanced economy class flights have been purchased e.g. Economy Flex or Economy Flex Plus, we would require evidence to show that this was the only or least expensive option available at the time of booking as these fares offer additional benefits. You do not need to book your return ticket at the same time.

Thanks, Drew
Reply 2
Original post by Drew SLC
Hi there,

The class and method of travel should be deemed reasonable (ie no business class,) standard economy is expected, if no hold luggage is included in the flight price we will cover the cost of 1 hold bag (general guide is up to 23KG). However if enhanced economy class flights have been purchased e.g. Economy Flex or Economy Flex Plus, we would require evidence to show that this was the only or least expensive option available at the time of booking as these fares offer additional benefits. You do not need to book your return ticket at the same time.

Thanks, Drew

Also, is the £303 referring to each set of flights or the whole year as I read somewhere that it was for the whole year? And, does the airline/time taken matter if it is around the same price or slightly more expensive (£100-£200) as long as it's economy class and going direct to the destination?
Original post by macaronichez
Also, is the £303 referring to each set of flights or the whole year as I read somewhere that it was for the whole year? And, does the airline/time taken matter if it is around the same price or slightly more expensive (£100-£200) as long as it's economy class and going direct to the destination?

Hi there.

It is possible to be reimbursed for more than the £303. However, this is calculated based on the Household Income figure provided by the induvial who supports your application. We cannot calculate this from here or over the phone, the only way this is possible is once we receive all of the evidence/flight information, you will be informed of how much can be reimbursed. Thanks - David
Reply 4
Original post by David SLC
Hi there.

It is possible to be reimbursed for more than the £303. However, this is calculated based on the Household Income figure provided by the induvial who supports your application. We cannot calculate this from here or over the phone, the only way this is possible is once we receive all of the evidence/flight information, you will be informed of how much can be reimbursed. Thanks - David

I was under the impression that all of it would be reimbursed save for £303 (if you have the lowest household income, like myself)? So I was asking if this was referring to each set of flights we'd have to pay the first £303 or it's for the whole year's flight and travel costs we'd pay for the first £303 and the rest would get reimbursed 1 to 1?

Also could you let me know if a travel grant claim would be denied based on flying at a slightly more expensive time or airline eg. Booking an evening flight that costs £100 or £200 more instead of a morning one that costs less or flying on a more reliable airline for £100-£200 more as I've had bad experiences with certain airlines with delays etc.
I was under the impression that all of it would be reimbursed save for £303 (if you have the lowest household income, like myself)? So I was asking if this was referring to each set of flights we'd have to pay the first £303 or it's for the whole year's flight and travel costs we'd pay for the first £303 and the rest would get reimbursed 1 to 1?

Also could you let me know if a travel grant claim would be denied based on flying at a slightly more expensive time or airline eg. Booking an evening flight that costs £100 or £200 more instead of a morning one that costs less or flying on a more reliable airline for £100-£200 more as I've had bad experiences with certain airlines with delays etc.

Hi there,

You pay the first £303 of the overall travel costs, that's right: it's not £303 for each individual claim.

Normally, if the difference is only a few hundred pounds then it shouldn't be a problem. Just to check, have you already booked any of these flights, or are you still considering it?

Thanks, Graeme
Reply 6
Original post by Graeme SFE
Hi there,

You pay the first £303 of the overall travel costs, that's right: it's not £303 for each individual claim.

Normally, if the difference is only a few hundred pounds then it shouldn't be a problem. Just to check, have you already booked any of these flights, or are you still considering it?

Thanks, Graeme

Hi, I'm still considering it and I'm planning on buying the tickets closer to when I get my timetable etc. so I wanted to ask about it beforehand. Also if any extra luggage is added would it be ok to still claim back the flight cost and just pay for the extra myself?
Hi, I'm still considering it and I'm planning on buying the tickets closer to when I get my timetable etc. so I wanted to ask about it beforehand. Also if any extra luggage is added would it be ok to still claim back the flight cost and just pay for the extra myself?

You can still claim this and it will reviewed accordingly. Thanks, Jason
Reply 8
Original post by SFE Jason
You can still claim this and it will reviewed accordingly. Thanks, Jason
Also if both basic/value economy and standard economy are offered, standard economy would be acceptable I assume? And if seat reservations are not included would that also be reimbursed?
Also if both basic/value economy and standard economy are offered, standard economy would be acceptable I assume? And if seat reservations are not included would that also be reimbursed?
We can't confirm regarding the seat reservation as it's the team who determine this. If you do have further questions regarding this, you can contact us on 0300 100 0607 or via the live chat in your account and we can contact the team if you state all the queries for the travel grant you have. They'll then respond accordingly with confirmation. Thanks, Jason
Original post by SFE Jason
We can't confirm regarding the seat reservation as it's the team who determine this. If you do have further questions regarding this, you can contact us on 0300 100 0607 or via the live chat in your account and we can contact the team if you state all the queries for the travel grant you have. They'll then respond accordingly with confirmation. Thanks, Jason

Hi,
Thanks for the response, I assume standard economy is ok then, even if cheaper (value/light) is offered?
Hi,
Thanks for the response, I assume standard economy is ok then, even if cheaper (value/light) is offered?
Hi there,

The class and method of travel should be deemed reasonable (ie no business class,) standard economy is expected.

Thanks,
Claire

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending