The Student Room Group

Can you tell the intelligence in these people?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ClockTower148
They're intelligent, because they're white.

The UK school system tells a different story 😂
dont really believe it, pseudoscience at best: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Physiognomy
Original post by BlueIndigoViolet
dont really believe it, pseudoscience at best: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Physiognomy

You cant deny objective evidence lol
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4680917/
Original post by JokesOnYoo

'The RNFL thickness had significant correlation with some domains of intelligence that was most affected in multiple sclerosis patients. Therefore, the OCT technique can be used for evaluation and monitoring of MS patients with cognition and intelligence problems.'

this is what happens when crackpot "scientists" find an article with a few words they want to prove

You literally have linked a paper suggested a link between retinal thickness (even if it were by miracle causative curious how you can observe this at a glance) and intelligence in multiple sclerosis patients....

CORRELATION DOES NOT MEAN CAUSATION

When the earth is at a certain degree of its orbit, trees starts growing foliage and ice cream sales also rise, it doesn't mean the trees are communicating with the people
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 25
they all look the same to me. how am i supposed to tell?
this is what happens when people find an article with a few words they want to prove

You literally have linked a paper suggested a link between retinal thickness (even if it were by miracle causative curious how you can observe this at a glance) and intelligence in multiple sclerosis patients....

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/29172231/

Are you OK my dude, linking a completely unrelated paper does not give credit to your dubious arguments

"Children with bilateral ONH had a high risk of neurodevelopmental disorders, especially intellectual disability."
Low IQ if you cant find the connection, ask your professor or someone smarter than you to explain the relation

wait you're serious 😂 - linking random papers does not credit your arguments despite how clever it makes you feel

Come back with some real evidence instead of linking a paper about a correlation with retinal thickness or a nerve hypoplasia causing development problems...

this is why people fall for pseudoscience in the first place, because the support of any paper, despite how outlandish or unrelated gives them comfort in their own echo chamber

Good luck on your adventures though :biggrin:
(edited 3 years ago)
wait you're serious 😂 - linking random papers does not credit your arguments despite how clever it makes you feel

Come back with some real evidence instead of linking a paper about a correlation with retinal thickness or a nerve hypoplasia causing development problems...

this is why people fall for pseudoscience in the first place, because the support of any paper, despite how outlandish or unrelated gives them comfort in their own echo chamber

Good luck on your adventures though :biggrin:

Are you blonde?
this is what happens when crackpot "scientists" find an article with a few words they want to prove

When the earth is at a certain degree of its orbit, ice cream sales also rise, it doesn't mean the Earth is controlling the minds of the people to buy ice cream

When the Earth is at a certain degree of its orbit, more sunlight permeates the atmosphere, reaching the surface, changing the weather, raises temperature, and then people want to buy more ice cream.

Correlation is a good indicator and starting point for searching for causation. And it is a relatively reliable way of corroborating evidence, particularly if you can find several correlations between numerous interdependent variables.

I don't know the context of what you are arguing about with others on here at the moment (I haven't the time to go into that depth). What I am eluding to is that I've heard the expression "correlation does not mean causation" obnoxiously touted before in debates as if to refute rather self-explanatory things, to then try and force the other person to waste time jumping through 10 hoops to explain something in detail that is irrelevant to the main point of the discussion. It's a distraction / diversionary tactic. I don't like it.

Majority of times that I've heard that phrase used in debates, it was used this way. No class. But don't assume this applies to you necessarily. I'm just thinking aloud.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by NonIndigenous
When the Earth is at a certain degree of its orbit, more sunlight permeates the atmosphere, reaching the surface, changing the weather, raises temperature, and then people want to buy more ice cream.

Correlation is a good indicator and starting point for searching for causation. And it is a relatively reliable way of corroborating evidence, particularly if you can find several correlations between numerous interdependent variables.

I don't know the context of what you are arguing about with others on here at the moment (I haven't the time to go into that depth). What I am eluding to is that I've heard the expression "correlation does not mean causation" obnoxiously touted before in debates as if to refute rather self-explanatory things, to then try and force the other person to waste time jumping through 10 hoops to explain something in detail that is irrelevant to the main point of the discussion. It's a distraction / diversionary tactic. I don't like it.

Majority of times that I've heard that phrase used in debates, it was used this way. No class.

I'm sorry you must see people's retinal thickness when you look at them and think what a clever dude :smile: The point was made about this correlation, he understood this to be definitively causative and did apply here imo.

I'm also sorry if it triggered some memories of you performing badly at your school debates
(edited 3 years ago)
I'm sorry you must see people's retinal thickness when you look at them and think what a clever dude :smile: The point was made about this correlation, he understood this to be definitively causative and did apply here imo.

I'm also sorry if it triggered some memories of you performing badly at your school debates

I didn't do school debates. I never did 'official' debating. Keen observer & learner though. When I need to, I can. I rarely do it for 'points'.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 33
Why do people say they cant identify intelligent people from the face?

This is a flawed post because we can identify the face and know the person is intelligent.

It would have been a less biased 'experiment' if you'd asked for comments on pictures of people known only to you personally, and based the measure of intelligence on their qualifications or jobs.

Quick Reply

Latest