The Student Room Group

UKMT/BMOS thread 2020-2021

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ct234
Any updates on intermediate Olympiad results?

they are saying everything is being finalised, so in a couple of weeks.
Original post by jemseal
It is a never ending moving "1 week", "2 week" target. Normally they mark within a month but this exam was 3 months back.

Yeah this has taken a ridiculous amount of time. Although the circumstances are a bit different this year to be fair… at least put the solutions up though😂
Reply 382
Original post by Dishoom
Yeah this has taken a ridiculous amount of time. Although the circumstances are a bit different this year to be fair… at least put the solutions up though😂

They still haven’t written the solutions ... I don’t understand how it could take so long
Original post by Ct234
They still haven’t written the solutions ... I don’t understand how it could take so long

I think they have because they have marked the scripts, but will only publish when they have completed the marker's report
solutions and answers are out. thresholds should be out soon. what did everyone get?
Original post by Dishoom
solutions and answers are out. thresholds should be out soon. what did everyone get?

Thresholds out as well I think
Original post by melectra
Thresholds out as well I think

Got 30, so managed to get a distinction. Wbu?
Original post by Dishoom

Well done on the distinction, I just scraped a medal @ 33 though the whole paper is a bit of a blur as we were having our delayed mocks at the same time. Feel over the moon now though!
Well done on the distinction, I just scraped a medal @ 33 though the whole paper is a bit of a blur as we were having our delayed mocks at the same time. Feel over the moon now though!

Congrats! What questions did you do and what marks did you get on the respective questions out of interest? Pretty gutted I was 2 off a medal - but overall very happy.
Reply 389
Original post by Dishoom

I got the same score as you lol. I'm pretty gutted as well considering that I was one mark of a book prize last time. But I got the score I expected so I can't really complain :smile:
Reply 390

Well done on your medal!
Is it just me or were all the boundaries pretty low - I also don't think it was a very hard paper but I might be wrong...
Well done to everyone anyway!
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Ct234
I got the same score as you lol. I'm pretty gutted as well considering that I was one mark of a book prize last time. But I got the score I expected so I can't really complain :smile:

Congrats on your distinction!
Original post by Dishoom
Congrats! What questions did you do and what marks did you get on the respective questions out of interest? Pretty gutted I was 2 off a medal - but overall very happy.

I answered q’s 1-3 completely and q4 partially, but I’ve not had my mark breakdown yet.
I got 33 on the Hamilton haha, this years paper was a lot harder than the past...
I got 44 in Hamilton this year's paper was super weird...
I answered q’s 1-3 completely and q4 partially, but I’ve not had my mark breakdown yet.

I answered questions 1,2,5 completely and got full marks. I’m interested to know if anyone got full marks on the whole paper or full marks on Q6 for that matter - that was tough!
Original post by yeahthatsme
Hello! Please may I know if you recommend any books to read for maths olympiad or just general books that are useful for problem solving? Thank you!

What year are you in, have you done challenges/olympiads in the past, how did you do/why do you want to improve?

The usual advice is that practice on past questions is the most useful thing to do, but there are some ukmt/aops/problem solving books that you could dip into.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by yeahthatsme
Hello and thank you for the reply!
I'm in year 10 at the moment and I've done IMC once last year. I did get a certificate but certainly was not the best that I could have gotten. I'm doing IMC again this year in Feb and I think I'm pretty ok with solving problems as I've already practised all avaible past paper Qs on the website and the results were all fine but I'm just stressed about the time limits. I think I can get my head around geometry better then algebra or number theories stuff.

I think there are about 6 years worth of papers you can download, so thats a pretty good set youve practiced on. A few things you could do
* For the challenge questions you can't do/get wrong, there are some "further investigation" questions in the extended solutions which would be worth trying.
* There are some topic (algebra, ....) specific resources (zeta - IMC) at drfrostmaths https://www.drfrostmaths.com/page.php?id=4
* If you struggled with a question, even if you ended up getting it right, maybe post here to see if there are elegant ways you could have solved it.
* It may be worth having a bit of a think about problem solving (working backwards, visualzing, simplifying, ...). Posamentier is pretty good https://www.worldscientific.com/worldscibooks/10.1142/9478 and there is a couple of pdf "chapters" you can preview.

There are nrich and ukmt/aops books and https://www.openbookpublishers.com/product/979 is pretty good and aimed at your level. But for the vast majority of questions, they not necessary. Sometimes though its worth reading/reflecting on a topic if you found a question interesting / hard.

For me, trying the "further investigation" questions, browse the zeta drfrost stuff for topics of interest and posting the odd problem would be the easiest/most useful things to do.
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending