The Student Room Group

Sixth form or foundation?

I've been offered a place at a foundation school, and a sixth form college. I'm an art student and I'm a bit skeptical about the foundation program because I don't want to limit myself to art- I want to have the freedom to change my mind if it becomes too stressful for me to handle.

But right now I really can't see a future in any other subject (I'm good at geography but I struggle with/hate economics, I'm good at literature but i struggle with/hate English, see my problem?), and widening my choices usually just makes me confused. I don't know whether I should widen my choices to art related courses such as literature and photography or include facilitating subjects such as Maths and French.

Dear Student Room, what's the best choice for sixth form? A Levels or foundation? (or any other sixth form program) Especially for someone who doesn't have the clearest vision for their future. Any help or experience is much appreciated!
Foundation courses are usually for people who are certain this is the subject they want to do. If you do an art foundation it’s more in depth than A level art. It’s not too stressful but if you aren’t willing to focus on it totally you won’t get the most out of it.

So sounds like A levels are better for you. Do you not want A level art instead of Photography or Literature? I found A level lit quite useless, photography sounds fun but easily something you could learn on your own maybe?
Reply 2
Thank you so much for your speedy reply!

You seem to understand. Photography is quite easy to pick up so doing a subject like photography might just waste my time. I am totally willing to focus on art, but I'm really just scared of restricting myself. I am willing to focus, but I just hope it won't get boring or limit my career opportunities, because that is what seems to happen to many people these days.
My brother got all A*s in Sciences and further maths. He was certain he wanted to be an aeronautic engineer, now it looks like he wants to do accounting! No problem with that, but it's just that art is trickier, once you get in you can't really reverse. (but maybe I've just overthought it)
I got an A in literature mock, and I just wanted to play safe aha.
Did you do art foundation?

Thanks for your time!
Original post by penduin
Thank you so much for your speedy reply!

You seem to understand. Photography is quite easy to pick up so doing a subject like photography might just waste my time. I am totally willing to focus on art, but I'm really just scared of restricting myself. I am willing to focus, but I just hope it won't get boring or limit my career opportunities, because that is what seems to happen to many people these days.
My brother got all A*s in Sciences and further maths. He was certain he wanted to be an aeronautic engineer, now it looks like he wants to do accounting! No problem with that, but it's just that art is trickier, once you get in you can't really reverse. (but maybe I've just overthought it)
I got an A in literature mock, and I just wanted to play safe aha.
Did you do art foundation?

Thanks for your time!

Yes I did an Art & Design foundation because I did no arty subjects for my a levels but then decided to go into design! In Foundation every project was quite different so it never got boring.

I heard A level art is still quite demanding so you can make as much out of it as you like I guess. I’ve always had photography as a hobby and taught myself painting etc alongside A levels. Now I’m a self taught artist.

Sounds like keeping your options open will stop you from worrying you’ve limited yourself too much! Some people request to do 3 A levels from the start instead of 4 so you could try that in order to spend more tome on certain subjects?
Reply 4
Original post by leopard202
Yes I did an Art & Design foundation because I did no arty subjects for my a levels but then decided to go into design! In Foundation every project was quite different so it never got boring.

I heard A level art is still quite demanding so you can make as much out of it as you like I guess. I’ve always had photography as a hobby and taught myself painting etc alongside A levels. Now I’m a self taught artist.

Sounds like keeping your options open will stop you from worrying you’ve limited yourself too much! Some people request to do 3 A levels from the start instead of 4 so you could try that in order to spend more tome on certain subjects?

You can do foundation after A Levels? Sounds amazing! I just want to make sure I don't lose my abilities in my A Level years, my secondary school didn't exactly "teach us" how to paint (the first time I actually painted was for exams in 2019), they just presented color schemes and unfortunately if you're not naturally talented, you will struggle so much that you could be forced to drop. I'm glad I didn't drop.

I'm not a very motivated person when it comes to art sometimes, I like being encouraged to work by tasks, I complete artwork on my own, but after I've completed a few pieces I get SUPER lazy and I think me being a perfectionist makes me procrastinate starting new work until everything in perfect condition to work. I worry a whole lot before starting new work.

I'll start with 4 subjects and I just KNOW I will drop one on the way lol, anything taking as much time as art needs to go!

I wish you luck on your career path as a designer and I do not take your help for granted!
Reply 5
I'd do A levels - including Art - and then do the Foundation year afterwards if it's still what you want.
Reply 6
Original post by Compost
I'd do A levels - including Art - and then do the Foundation year afterwards if it's still what you want.

That's what i plan on doing now.
Thanks for reading my predicament!

Quick Reply

Latest