The Student Room Group

Applying to uni with old grades while resitting

hello,
I started sixth form at 18 years old and recently sat my A-levels at 20 years old due to some circumstances and I've achieved CCD in chemistry, maths and biology. however, I'm planning to resit them privately since I can't resit them at my old sixth form. I want to study pharmacy at uni but my grades weren't enough for the direct entry only for pharmacy with foundation year. I thought to whether it is possible that I can apply with my old grades for pharmacy with foundation year and pharmacy (mpharm) course while resitting my A levels privately at an exam centre and enter my achieved grades in addition to entering my A level grades that I am willing to resit as pending. so I can have a safe place if I got accepted in the foundation year if I happen to do worse at my resits
my second concern is my old sixth form told me they could provide me with reference but they can't provide me with predicted grades so can i apply without predicted grades since i am willing to obviously improve my grades.
Reply 1
Original post by Noname60
hello,
I started sixth form at 18 years old and recently sat my A-levels at 20 years old due to some circumstances and I've achieved CCD in chemistry, maths and biology. however, I'm planning to resit them privately since I can't resit them at my old sixth form. I want to study pharmacy at uni but my grades weren't enough for the direct entry only for pharmacy with foundation year. I thought to whether it is possible that I can apply with my old grades for pharmacy with foundation year and pharmacy (mpharm) course while resitting my A levels privately at an exam centre and enter my achieved grades in addition to entering my A level grades that I am willing to resit as pending. so I can have a safe place if I got accepted in the foundation year if I happen to do worse at my resits
my second concern is my old sixth form told me they could provide me with reference but they can't provide me with predicted grades so can i apply without predicted grades since i am willing to obviously improve my grades.

You enter your subjects and grades achieved then enter again as 'pending'. You can apply without predictions.
hello,

Hi, I am in a similar situation as you as I also started sixth form at 18 years old and plan on retaking my alevels privately. I also want to study pharmacy. My previous school doesn’t want to provide me with predicted grades and my fear now is being at a disadvantage and not getting offers because of it.
Reply 3
Original post by Lesi7
Hi, I am in a similar situation as you as I also started sixth form at 18 years old and plan on retaking my alevels privately. I also want to study pharmacy. My previous school doesn’t want to provide me with predicted grades and my fear now is being at a disadvantage and not getting offers because of it.

i am in the same situation currently, i haven't achieved the grades i needed for pharmacy this year, so i am planning on resitting privately, and my school wont provide me with anyth. in that case, when applying for unis, i will put my grades as pending as i have to sit my exams in a private centre, but i have originally passed my practicals, in that case how will the universities know when all im going to do this year is resit my exams and not my practicals?
Original post by ly2021
i am in the same situation currently, i haven't achieved the grades i needed for pharmacy this year, so i am planning on resitting privately, and my school wont provide me with anyth. in that case, when applying for unis, i will put my grades as pending as i have to sit my exams in a private centre, but i have originally passed my practicals, in that case how will the universities know when all im going to do this year is resit my exams and not my practicals?

I think universities know that you have passed your practicals. They won’t require you to do them again so I don’t think you have to worry about that.
Reply 5
Original post by ly2021

May I ask have if you’ve found any good exam centres or cheap ones?
Same honestly I have passed all my practicals as well and I have been told it will be carried forward so you don’t have to do them again.
Reply 6
Original post by Lesi7

Same honestly it’s just the predicted grades and it’s pretty hard for me to take another gap year
Reply 7
May I ask have if you’ve found any good exam centres or cheap ones?
Same honestly I have passed all my practicals as well and I have been told it will be carried forward so you don’t have to do them again.

i have found one in milton keynes for 155 per paper so in total itll be around 465 without administration fees, which is quite pricey but its the cheapest i found because the rest would go up to 700+
If you don’t mind me asking, what universities do you guys plan on applying to and are you using the same personal statement or a different one?
Reply 9
Original post by Lesi7
If you don’t mind me asking, what universities do you guys plan on applying to and are you using the same personal statement or a different one?

I’m thinking maybe Manchester, Kingston, Medway, Aston and Brighton and yes I’m using the same personal statement as my personal statement was totally fine and it were only my grades
I’m thinking maybe Manchester, Kingston, Medway, Aston and Brighton and yes I’m using the same personal statement as my personal statement was totally fine and it were only my grades

Those are really good set of unis. I’m still contemplating on what unis I want apply to as i don’t plan on doing foundation year. I don’t know if that’s too risky.

I’m also using the same personal statement cause I really liked mine.
Have you approached your local FE colleges about resitting exams with them?

When you add your achieved grades to UCAS add a module for the practical endorsement to show that it was passed.

More important than predicted grades (for resitting applicants) is who will provide you with an academic reference.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending