The Student Room Group

Do Employers Check on How High or Low Your 2:1 is?

Hi! For context in the future I want to hopefully be a barrister.
So I've come out with 63% this year (second year) that I am quite disappointed with considering I got a few firsts that were dragged down by one weighted C. I have the option to take exams next week to boost my average - after my calculations I realised it would only realistically go up by 1-2%... unless I absolutely smash them which is not guaranteed.

However, my average can also go down... so there's a lot at risk for the sake of this 1-2%. My motivation for doing the exams originally was the hopes of graduating overall with a high 2:1/first. But after seeing that these exams wouldn't make too much of a difference, I'm unsure if it is worth it considering the risks of it dropping [especially because my first in EU is at risk]. Perhaps it would just be better to try my upmost next year and smash it.

The exams are 24 hours each and open book so this is what's tempting me to try it out... is it a chance worth taking? How important is the strength of a 2:1 in the long run?
Just try your best with it! I would recommend you to try your best to get a high 2:1. Most of the chambers are looking for a 2:1. They do not care about high or low, as long as you have a 2:1. However, some top chambers in London will request for a first-class or high 2:1. In short, it's in your best interest to get a 2:1.

Getting a 2:2 is not the end of the world, but you will struggle to get a pupillage or a job in other fields. I recalled in a piece of news or survey mentioned that around 53 per cent of law students graduate with a 2:1 every year. Most of the employers are looking for graduates with a 2:1.

Do not ever give up on yourself. I am a recent law graduate from the University of Birmingham. I performed badly during my second year and only got a 2:2. I almost gave up on myself, but I told myself I have come too far to quit. I worked hard during my second year, and yes, I achieved a 2:1 for my overall degree. I am grateful for the result because it is not an easy task for international students like me: adapt to a new environment while getting a decent grade.

Good luck and don't give up!
Reply 2
Original post by kingyii1997
Just try your best with it! I would recommend you to try your best to get a high 2:1. Most of the chambers are looking for a 2:1. They do not care about high or low, as long as you have a 2:1. However, some top chambers in London will request for a first-class or high 2:1. In short, it's in your best interest to get a 2:1.

Getting a 2:2 is not the end of the world, but you will struggle to get a pupillage or a job in other fields. I recalled in a piece of news or survey mentioned that around 53 per cent of law students graduate with a 2:1 every year. Most of the employers are looking for graduates with a 2:1.

Do not ever give up on yourself. I am a recent law graduate from the University of Birmingham. I performed badly during my second year and only got a 2:2. I almost gave up on myself, but I told myself I have come too far to quit. I worked hard during my second year, and yes, I achieved a 2:1 for my overall degree. I am grateful for the result because it is not an easy task for international students like me: adapt to a new environment while getting a decent grade.

Good luck and don't give up!

Well done to you!! It's so great to here that - I'm so glad you got the grade you wanted to in the end!! Yeah sometimes some grades are just a bit lower but we shouldn't view it as the end of the world (although it is so easy to at the time).
I feel like it could be possible to get a high 2:1 with both choices so that's why I am struggling to choose - obviously there's more risk with the exam though :frown:
Good luck and best wishes on your path! :smile:
Original post by natisdone
Well done to you!! It's so great to here that - I'm so glad you got the grade you wanted to in the end!! Yeah sometimes some grades are just a bit lower but we shouldn't view it as the end of the world (although it is so easy to at the time).
I feel like it could be possible to get a high 2:1 with both choices so that's why I am struggling to choose - obviously there's more risk with the exam though :frown:
Good luck and best wishes on your path! :smile:

Thank you! Just do your best! A high 2:1 is achievable. I spent most of my time to study in the third year, and now I received a BTC offer from BPP University.

Good luck to you too!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending