The Student Room Group

Raf aptitude test

I sat my Aptitude test I reached the minimum stanine score or above in all the areas.

My employability score did not reach the correct amount. No one has been able to tell me how the employability score is calculated and so I am unsure of how to improve my result, as I achieved above in 2 areas and the correct stanine in 1 area. If these three areas all reached the and 2 were above, why is my employability score low?
Reply 1
Ex-Recruiter, and I'm assuming the employability score is what used to be called the group score; if so, it's a score made up of weighted scores from all the stanines. Technical trades will put more weighting on EC and MC, Admin on things like VR. However, all stanines are counted in some way, so electrical and mechanical scores still go towards Admin trades. Stanines aren't a direct number from your result; a 4 in WR could mean you got 12 out of 18 right, a 4 in NR could mean 15 out of 20 right, for example. All the scores are all done on computer, so no-one is going to know them off the top of their head and explain it to you.

Did you mean you reached/exceeded the stanine scores for the areas required for your trade? If so, but you scored low in other areas, you won't reach your employability score.

Eg, if you needed VR5, NR4, WR3 and employability score of 4 for your role, and got VR6, NR5, WR3 and an overall 3, it means you didn't do well in the other sections.

To improve your score requires you to do well in all areas of the test, do look at those with the lower stanines.
Reply 2
Hi thank you so much for taking your time to respond. I thought it was maybe made up of a weighted score across all of the areas.
I achieved the stanines below

Numerical Reasoning 4
Mechanical Comprehension 6
Work Rate 4
Verbal Reasoning 4
Electrical Comprehension 6
Spatial Reasoning 4

This was the stainines I had to achieve

Numeric Reasoning 4
Verbal Reasoning (DAA) 4
Spatial Reasoning (DAA) 3
Work Rate 2

My emplyability score was 44 but I needed 50.
This is why I was confused as I received the required stainines in the specified areas and received a higher score in the other areas. If I had achieved a low score in the other areas then I would assume that these had pulled the overall score down.

I'm assuming that although I have achieved the correct stanine ,when the individual scores have been collated I have needed a higher score in NR and VR, so I've been the lower end of the stanine in those areas.
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 3
Original post by rafapplicant
Hi thank you so much for taking your time to respond. I thought it was maybe made up of a weighted score across all of the areas.
I achieved the stanines below

Numerical Reasoning 4
Mechanical Comprehension 6
Work Rate 4
Verbal Reasoning 4
Electrical Comprehension 6
Spatial Reasoning 4

This was the stainines I had to achieve

Numeric Reasoning 4
Verbal Reasoning (DAA) 4
Spatial Reasoning (DAA) 3
Work Rate 2

My emplyability score was 44 but I needed 50.
This is why I was confused as I received the required stainines in the specified areas and received a higher score in the other areas. If I had achieved a low score in the other areas then I would assume that these had pulled the overall score down.

I'm assuming that although I have achieved the correct stanine ,when the individual scores have been collated I have needed a higher score in NR and VR, so I've been the lower end of the stanine in those areas.

This should have been explained by the AFCO; may be have a chat with them to clarify the results.

Quick Reply

Latest