The Student Room Group

firm choice?

Hi so I have a dilemma regarding my university options- upon writing this message, I've realised it is incredibly long...but even reading a bit is greatly appreciated ! :smile: I have received all 5 of my offers but have no idea what to base my choice on. I have applied to do a geography BA (possibly change to BSc as I enjoy the physical aspect more). I have 3 unis that I am currently deciding on : Durham, Nottingham, KCL.Uon and KCL grades are AAB and Durhams are A*AA and I am predicted 3 A*s.Overall, I prefer Uon campus and social scene, and the modules on my course seem very enticing. The fact it's located in a massive park and everything is relatively close has definitely swooned me. The coach stop back to London is also just across the road from the campus! Also accom looks relatively less expensive than my other 2 unis. I've also heard it has great employability opportunites and is highly targeted by employers. However, its quite low ranked on league tables for my subject and as a uni overall (100th in the qs world ranking, for example.)Durham is the best for my subject and is consistently in top 10 uk unis. I also like the collegiate system. However upon visiting it, I felt it was quite isolating. Also being from London and a POC, I did kind of feel a bit out of place. It's also the same cost as living in London, from what I've heard. It's also incredibly far from London and the social scene there also seems quite limited, but the fact it's high on league tables is whats driving my liking towards it. Finally kcl- it's very high on world league tables, but not very high on uk league tables. Also not highly ranked for my course. I also definitely want to move out for at least 1st year, but I live 25 minutes away from the campus, so I don't really see any point? But I am considering staying at home for financial reasons as saving as much for my future is the best option (according to my parents..) I am not sure about night life in London either... but it's recognised globally. I am not really a fan of the city campus, as everything is quite far away from each other.. the closest accom to my lectures is 30 minutes away.. I am also assuming kcl is targeted by employers bc its in london? Also this may be a silly reason to not be attracted to staying in London per say, but all of my friends are going unis out of london (manchester, cambridge, oxford and bristol), and I feel that by staying in London I would be missing out in a way, seeing as we're all from here. So overall, theres pros and cons for all. so im not sure what to base my final decision on... league table ranks?? or the best for my subject? or the employability of the uni? or, seeing as I definitely want to do postgrad after should I base my decision on which uni delivers the most 1st's or 2:1's?Once again any help is greatly appreciated and thank you so so much for reading this incredibly long message :smile:- from an incredibly indecisive and stressed year 13 xx
Which course do you prefer?

Look at the optional units for all years of each course and think about which you would choose if you went to each Uni.
This is what actually matters. The position of a Uni on a League Table (nonsense at the best of times) will be even more meaningless if you don't actually enjoy what you are studying every day.
It sounds like the only thing putting you off Nottingham is some weird perception that prestige matters for a geography degree.

Have you looked at each course on the Discover Uni website. Ignore the salary data (it’s nonsense based on partial numbers decades after they started their degree) but the stats on what jobs and industries graduates go into and whether they think their jobs are meaningful etc should give you a better understanding of exactly how different the prospects are for the different courses (always remembering that employers employ YOU not your degree - and they’re looking at your degree classification and your experience BEYOND your degree - so picking somewhere you’re going to be unhappy or stressed out working all hours just to pay the rent isn’t going to boost your personal employability).
Reply 3
Original post by PQ
It sounds like the only thing putting you off Nottingham is some weird perception that prestige matters for a geography degree.

Have you looked at each course on the Discover Uni website. Ignore the salary data (it’s nonsense based on partial numbers decades after they started their degree) but the stats on what jobs and industries graduates go into and whether they think their jobs are meaningful etc should give you a better understanding of exactly how different the prospects are for the different courses (always remembering that employers employ YOU not your degree - and they’re looking at your degree classification and your experience BEYOND your degree - so picking somewhere you’re going to be unhappy or stressed out working all hours just to pay the rent isn’t going to boost your personal employability).
so would you say the ranking and prestige of the uni does not matter? (for geog especially)
Pick a uni with city/student life and the modules you will enjoy! Ranking does not matter too much especially for undergrads - its based heavily on research output! you will get a first anywhere if you work hard - if a uni has more firsts it doesn't necessarily mean its easier to get a first but most likely people there all work harder
Original post by apple6258
so would you say the ranking and prestige of the uni does not matter? (for geog especially)

Rankings - marketing nonsense that 'measure' stuff that has no real impact on an undergraduate student
Prestige - what is it, and how do you intend to measure it?

Neither of these things will tell you if you will like being at that Uni or if you will enjoy studying that degree.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending