The Student Room Group

Graduated but with desmond

Hi guys,
so I've just graduated with a 2.2,
For context:
I have dyspraxia - which was diagnosed to me as some sort of chronic condition leaving me feeling very very hopeless at about 15 - Consequently spent a lot of time in my life not really believing in myself or creating many dreams.
However, miraculously passing some A levels with ABC left me with an opportunity to go to a decent enough uni
NGL; this has been the hardest thing I've ever done but the process has shown me more things are possible than I would have ever dreamed of. Would not have changed it for the world.
Been treated amazingly by them and little by little I'm healing.
Proof of the pudding was, receiving a first in my final year consultancy dissertation and securing a few low to mid 60s in my coursework, however, despite this I still really underperformed in some of my modules hence my overall average. what would you guys do in my shoes?

dawned on me; should try and retake the year, studying at this level and my particular university has only done me good, however not sure if this is possible/ how this would work....or Alternatively do you guys see any other constructive routes?
Original post by The Uni Lady
Hi guys,
For context:
I have dyspraxia - which was diagnosed to me as some sort of chronic condition leaving me feeling very very hopeless at about 15 - Consequently spent a lot of time in my life not really believing in myself or creating many dreams.
However, miraculously passing some A levels with ABC left me with an opportunity to go to a decent enough uni
NGL; this has been the hardest thing I've ever done but the process has shown me more things are possible than I would have ever dreamed of. Would not have changed it for the world.
Proof of the pudding was, receiving a first in my final year consultancy dissertation and securing a few low to mid 60s in my coursework, however, despite this I still really underperformed in some of my modules hence my overall average. what would you guys do in my shoes?

dawned on me; should try and retake the year, studying at this level and my particular university has only done me good, however not sure if this is possible/ how this would work....or Alternatively do you guys see any other constructive routes?

Do you have the option of retaking your final year?

What about a postgraduate degree?
Many unis do not have the option of retaking final year or resitting modules in order to alter the final degree classification.
Reply 3
Original post by ageshallnot
Do you have the option of retaking your final year?

What about a postgraduate degree?

well, im not sure; I don't know how the uni works!! this is definitely the emotional side of me speaking but they have already been completely amazing they may just be sick of me ahaha
Reply 4
Original post by Sorcerer of Old
Many unis do not have the option of retaking final year or resitting modules in order to alter the final degree classification.

this is good to know, i better had find out what this would look like - there will also be a considerable financial cost to this too I imagine?
well, im not sure; I don't know how the uni works!! this is definitely the emotional side of me speaking but they have already been completely amazing they may just be sick of me ahaha

You need to find out! 😃
Reply 6
this is good to know, i better had find out what this would look like - there will also be a considerable financial cost to this too I imagine?

They said that most do not allow final year retakes. This has been my experience everywherevI have read and/or worked, too.

You should check anyway, but the sage advice is unfortunately 'don't get your hopes up'
(edited 7 months ago)
Hi guys,
For context:

A 2:2 honours degree is something you can be proud of.

It is only recently, in a highly competitive job market, that a 2:1 has become what, in my view, is a totally inappropriate filter that some employers use in order to artificially reduce the pool of applicants from which they select employees. Fortunately, some of the more enlightened employers are now moving away from this appoach, having realised that they may be missing out on many outstanding candidates.

There are still many careers to choose from if you have a 2:2 and there are numerous websites available to guide the way. Here's a good one:

https://debut.careers/graduate-jobs-you-can-still-get-2-2/

If you are more interested in continuing your studies, many universities will consider a 2:2 for Masters level study, alongside other strengths evident in your application and strong references.

You have already graduated with a Bachelor degree. The best way to capitalise on your positive experience with your current university is to ask them for help in taking the next step, not to try and undo what is already done.

Take heart. There are millions of people out there with 2:2 degrees who have ended up being far more successful than those with Firsts!
Reply 8
Original post by gjd800
They said that most do not allow final year retakes. This has been my experience everywhere have read and/or worked, too.

You should check anyway, but the sage advice is unfortunately 'don't get your hopes up'

okay, thank you for your response - I will double check
Reply 9
Original post by Supermature
A 2:2 honours degree is something you can be proud of.

It is only recently, in a highly competitive job market, that a 2:1 has become what, in my view, is a totally inappropriate filter that some employers use in order to artificially reduce the pool of applicants from which they select employees. Fortunately, some of the more enlightened employers are now moving away from this appoach, having realised that they may be missing out on many outstanding candidates.

There are still many careers to choose from if you have a 2:2 and there are numerous websites available to guide the way. Here's a good one:

https://debut.careers/graduate-jobs-you-can-still-get-2-2/

If you are more interested in continuing your studies, many universities will consider a 2:2 for Masters level study, alongside other strengths evident in your application and strong references.

You have already graduated with a Bachelor degree. The best way to capitalise on your positive experience with your current university is to ask them for help in taking the next step, not to try and undo what is already done.

Take heart. There are millions of people out there with 2:2 degrees who have ended up being far more successful than those with Firsts!

Yet again, I want to echo this post. All true.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending