The Student Room Group

New phone for under £500 pounds?

Help please?
I'm broke so don't judge lmao

Scroll to see replies

You can get tonnes of refurbished phones for under 500. what's your phone plan? giffgaff? EE?
Original post by thagirlhanna
You can get tonnes of refurbished phones for under 500. what's your phone plan? giffgaff? EE?

BT-I don't think I want a refurbished phone I want a brand new one but I'm not sure if a huawei or something?
Original post by Chocolatecakexx
BT-I don't think I want a refurbished phone I want a brand new one but I'm not sure if a huawei or something?

There's not much difference. You get the same benefits and it's not like people are gonna see its refurbished and judge you for it.
Help please?

You are broke .... yet you don't want a refurbished phone. How silly is that
Help please?

the iPhone SE is at £419
Reply 6
Original post by philogrobized
the iPhone SE is at £419

Good shout. I got one last month and it’s great.

Although, @Chocolatecakexx, bear in mind that it’ll cost more than £500 when you add a data plan.
Help please?

The Xiaomi Pocophone F2 Pro is the best overall phone for under £500, it's my Editor's Choice in the TSR Smartphone Guide. The price is currently at an all time low of £400 on Amazon.

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showpost.php?p=56783023&postcount=2

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Xiaomi-Poco-F2-Pro-128GB/dp/B088GQ7Y69/
(edited 3 years ago)
Honor or Huawei phones!!! I know there's the scandal with China but the phones are really good. I got the honour 9 lite when it came out. The specs were good for the price and it was definitely better than my line up of Samsung phones I've had in the best. It cost me £200. The only downside was it wasn't a USB-C and the camera would benefit from being higher but overall a great phone. I will upgrade it soon but I'm still sticking to the same brands honor and Huawei. If £500 is your budget and you don't mind those brands then you'll find a great phone.
Judge? I would never waste £500 on a phone.
Original post by physicsamor
Honor or Huawei phones!!! I know there's the scandal with China but the phones are really good. I got the honour 9 lite when it came out. The specs were good for the price and it was definitely better than my line up of Samsung phones I've had in the best. It cost me £200. The only downside was it wasn't a USB-C and the camera would benefit from being higher but overall a great phone. I will upgrade it soon but I'm still sticking to the same brands honor and Huawei. If £500 is your budget and you don't mind those brands then you'll find a great phone.

The issue with the "scandal with China" is that Huawei no longer has a licensing agreement with Google. This means while they can still use the Android operating system as it's an open source software, they cannot use Google Services on their newest phones, which covers crucial apps like Chrome, Gmail, the Play Store (which means a far more limited app selection as you have to rely on Huawei's store and other third party stores, or straight up downloading apk files) and even YouTube, as well as losing core functionality like the use of Android Pay. With other Chinese competitors like Xiaomi offering equally strong value to Huawei's options at their price points without any of these software drawbacks, Huawei phones are extremely difficult to recommend at the moment, to the point where I've removed them entirely from the TSR Buyer's Guide.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by thagirlhanna
There's not much difference. You get the same benefits and it's not like people are gonna see its refurbished and judge you for it.

No its not about people judging me its that I know someone who got a refurbished phone and there not as good as new phones also I want mine to stay for longer

Original post by OxMus
Good shout. I got one last month and it’s great.

Although, @Chocolatecakexx, bear in mind that it’ll cost more than £500 when you add a data plan.

Its fine I'm looking at around that price-should I just get a huawei or an iphone 6?

Thank you I'll check them out

Original post by physicsamor

I've tried Honour its not great Huawei is good

Original post by YaliaV
Judge? I would never waste £500 on a phone.

My maximum is around 500 pounds and I know people who spend more than 1000 and they got the same needs as me lol thats why I wouldnt't spend that much I'd buy a laptop or imac instead

Then how do you download apps and stuff from the google play store etc?
Help please?

One Plus Nord
New phone
£379
Original post by SchmuckOff
One Plus Nord
New phone
£379

Thanks
Its fine I'm looking at around that price-should I just get a huawei or an iphone 6?

If you want a cheaper phone check out the budget section in the guide I linked to for the best phones at different prices, there are much better options than 5-year old iPhones, and Huawei phones for the reasons I listed in my other post.

I've tried Honour its not great Huawei is good

Honor and Huawei are the exact same company, Honor is just the name they give to some of their phone lines, like how Samsung have Galaxy S and Galaxy Note phones.

Then how do you download apps and stuff from the google play store etc?

You cannot get apps from the Play Store, the store is not installed on the phone and it won't work if you find the program file online (known as an apk) and try to install it. Instead you either have to use alternative app marketplaces like Huawei's preinstalled store or the Amazon App Store, which have substantially more limited selections, or download apk files from other websites, which are one-time downloads and won't have the same update support as if you downloaded from an app store, so you generally have to entirely redownload or reinstall whenever an update is published.
I've checked your guide its good I'll keep referring to it thanks x
I've checked your guide its good I'll keep referring to it thanks x

No worries! Feel free to quote me if you have any more questions.
Sure
Reply 18
Help please?

I would say definitely wait for the new One Plus Nord, it is coming out on August 4th, starting at £379, it has a decent camera set up, good storage, fairly fast speed overall, 90 hz screen and a flagship-like design 😆
Original post by Eric01
I would say definitely wait for the new One Plus Nord, it is coming out on August 4th, starting at £379, it has a decent camera set up, good storage, fairly fast speed overall, 90 hz screen and a flagship-like design 😆

Okay and its a relavtively good phone right?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending