The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

are there any other essay writing competitions to enter? i liked doing this for fun
Original post by Auzendriel
are there any other essay writing competitions to enter? i liked doing this for fun

I think the majority are over now. There may be a few ones open but they’re usually for y13 students unfortunately
Even if the high volume of entries is due to it being set as quarantine work, I still suspect that these entrants would be private school students so they probably would have had a lot of support. Overall, I think the quality of essays this year will be considerable higher.
*considerably
Reply 104
Original post by pravel04
Even if the high volume of entries is due to it being set as quarantine work, I still suspect that these entrants would be private school students so they probably would have had a lot of support. Overall, I think the quality of essays this year will be considerable higher.

support like what? surely the teachers know we're supposed to produce these essays by ourselves, so how would they help? other than proofread i guess
Well I mean, circumventing guidelines isn’t something new, it’s been seen time and time again in things like coursework, but hopefully it doesn’t happen in this competition
Original post by kobla
support like what? surely the teachers know we're supposed to produce these essays by ourselves, so how would they help? other than proofread i guess

i think what they meant was that private school teachers have been continuously providing work for their students to do. i have a lot of state school friends who told me their teachers haven't even been in contact with them since march. obviously that varies from school to school! :smile:
Reply 107
Original post by lily.2
i think what they meant was that private school teachers have continuously providing work for their students to do. i have a lot of state school friends who told me their teachers have't even been in contact with them since march. obviously that varies from school to school! :smile:

ohhhh that's true.
Original post by lily.2
i think what they meant was that private school teachers have been continuously providing work for their students to do. i have a lot of state school friends who told me their teachers haven't even been in contact with them since march. obviously that varies from school to school! :smile:

Yeah that’s pretty true, I’m from a state school and I’ve had pretty much no contact with my teachers. I’d honestly be floored if I got shortlisted lol
Original post by lily.2

2700 ish entries.
Discount 500-700 for being
1. Low effort, 2. Improperly referenced and therefore not qualifying or 3. Of poor English quality (lots of international applications.

You’re looking at around 2000 proper entries. 4 categories. Competition will be realistically lower.
Oh yeah that reminded me, how man sources did you guys have in your bibliography and around how many footnotes did you have? Of course, the appropriate amount would vary between subjects but I’m looking for a general idea to see if I referenced properly.
Did anyone do the unilateral free trade question? doubt emails will come out soon we may as well discuss what we wrote

I did this one, the crux of my essay was that developing nations have the power to take advantage of the beneficiary nation and what should be done to prevent that. what was your idea?
Oh yeah that reminded me, how man sources did you guys have in your bibliography and around how many footnotes did you have? Of course, the appropriate amount would vary between subjects but I’m looking for a general idea to see if I referenced properly.

I had 19 total references. It was a law question so

Only 8 or so (Theology), because much of my argument was a defence of the positions outlined in those few works

Used the Harvard format. 9 references
Ooh that’s a good idea, my essay revolved around propagating the benefits of pure laissez-faire capitalism whilst simultaneously debunking protectionist arguments. I also suggested that it’s more beneficial for developing countries as it stimulates investment, my ideas were relatively simple though
Ooh that’s a good idea, my essay revolved around propagating the benefits of pure laissez-faire capitalism whilst simultaneously debunking protectionist arguments. I also suggested that it’s more beneficial for developing countries as it stimulates investment, my ideas were relatively simple though

Could you not you make the India argument though? That being that a protectionist economy is beneficial in the early stages due to developing countries being so vulnerable to imperialistic investment?

I had that exact number also.

Which law question did you do?
Original post by Alexandre.b
Which law question did you do?

'Does a law prohibiting the selling of sex support or violate women's rights'

Latest