The Student Room Group

Synaesthesia

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Ever since I can remember I've replaced days of the week with colours. So when somone says "Wednesday" I instantly think of it as the colour red.
makinghistory
Ah there was a programme about an autistic savant who had synaesthesia and he used it when he was remembering Pi to a a gazillion decimal places. There was something on Richard and Judy about it as well.

You're thinking of Daniel Tammet :smile:
Reply 42
Lu-x
When I see/smell a ladybird, I kinda get this weird taste in my mouth...Iuno it's weird, like I've just eaten the thing.

maybe you did..?
=p
Reply 43
oatsandhoney
hey I think I have it because in my mind words have a colour and if u asked me to go through the alphabet then i would say the same colour for the same letter no matter how many times you ask me. Also I'm lead to believe that seeing number lines, days of the week and months of the year in spatial form is another part of it (correct me if I'm wrong) and if so I have that too and couldn't live without it if I'm truthful

My boyfriend caught me waving my finger in the air pointing to the days of the week in my 'mind's eye' and was like.. have you taken your special pills today..? and I couldn't understand how anyone could know what day it was without 'looking'.. same with the alphabet. I've always 'pictured' things.. words too.. it's the only way I can spell etc.
jismith1989
I'd love to have it! :yep:

LSD can temporarily induce synaesthesia. Although I don't recommend it, some have taken it just for that effect.
Chaotic Evil
LSD can temporarily induce synaesthesia. Although I don't recommend it, some have taken it just for that effect.

I would like to try LSD also (don't worry, you haven't influenced that!), just for the experience.
Reply 46
Bexxxx
Ever since I can remember I've replaced days of the week with colours. So when somone says "Wednesday" I instantly think of it as the colour red.

My Wednesday is yellowish-white :smile:

I see sounds - haven't realized this is abnormal until a year ago or so :smile: Like in the morning I'd always listen to music on the bus towards school and I always choose songs that match the clothes I'm wearing that day. I also 'see' the voices of people. If I close out the world a bit more I see the sounds in space and can smell them too, it's nice in a way. :smile:
Another symptom of mine is that I taste words, letters taste different each and they mix into a word that tastes entirely unique too.
Anyway sometimes I'm really thinking whether this is actually synesthesia or just a case of being extremely visual? If the taste thing wasn't there I'd say the latter.
Reply 47
My synaesthesia is a little strange compared to other's peoples. I see different colours to music, depending on its mood, the instruments in it, its pitch and timbre.

Letters have personalites and numbers have colours.

To me 'a' is an extrovert male, and 'v' is a camp male who likes to dress in pink.

I swear to god I'm crazy 0.o
Draconis
I'm guessing you don't like Maths..

Yup :yep: maths is not a friend of mine!
IlexAquifolium
You're thinking of Daniel Tammet :smile:

That would be him! I want to read that book!
i'm really good at Rez, does that count?
Reply 51
RJ555
Yep, well sort of, I have "Ordinal Linguistic Personification" which I believe is classed under the umbrella of synaesthesia.

Numbers have genders and personalities, they always have for me, simple as that. Most people don't understand this, but i cant imagine it any other way. Tis just how I am.

I also see other things as having genders, the alphabet, objects (e.g. i cant think of wardrobes as being anything other than a masculine entity), and sometimes textures/feelings/senses but to a lesser extent.

EDIT: The way Id describe it to anyone curious is a "strong assosiation", something that you just accept to be. If you look at something thats yellow, your mind just instantly tells you "that is yellow", you feel it. Thats how it is.

I think I have something like this; 6 is happy, 1 is lonely, 10 is smiley. I don't know why.
Also, smells have pictures attached.
Reply 52
Vulpix
Also, smells have pictures attached.

I assume you're talking about pictures that the rest of us would find bizarre (like seeing a toaster when you smell roses). I've never met anyone online or offline with that before.
Reply 53
hannah-mai
I associate days of the week with colours (monday = red, tuesday = orange, thursday= purple etc) so the colours come into my head when I think of the days, but I'm not sure that's enough to really count as synaesthesia. I find it so interesting though!

Not an expert but I'd count that as synaesthesia :smile:
(Tuesday's light blue, by the way. :p: )

oatsandhoney
hey I think I have it because in my mind words have a colour and if u asked me to go through the alphabet then i would say the same colour for the same letter no matter how many times you ask me. Also I'm lead to believe that seeing number lines, days of the week and months of the year in spatial form is another part of it (correct me if I'm wrong) and if so I have that too and couldn't live without it if I'm truthful

Yup, time in spatial form is also a form of syn :smile: Must be really useful for remembering dates!

MorbidCow
My synaesthesia is a little strange compared to other's peoples. I see different colours to music, depending on its mood, the instruments in it, its pitch and timbre.

Letters have personalites and numbers have colours.

To me 'a' is an extrovert male, and 'v' is a camp male who likes to dress in pink.

I swear to god I'm crazy 0.o

Weird, I'm very sure my V is gay.:laughing:
I think I have mild synaesthesia, but it's definately not 'proper' synaesthesia in which you could be reading a page of writing, for example, and each letter actually appears on the page as a certain colour. I have grapheme synaesthesia too - and A for me is red! Some letters and numbers I am very sure of, and I'll give a few examples - B is blue, E is pink, G is green, H is brown, I is grey, M is dark green, N a lighter green, O is black, P is yellow, 1 is white, 2 is blue, 3 is yellow, 4 is pink, 5 is brown. Other letters and numbers however are more of a blur.
Also, this might sound strange, but every word has its own special sound, alongside the initial sound that is made when the word is spoken aloud or in your head. And some words even have their own physical action (this is unrelated to sign language (I don't know any sign language) and these actions usually involve the whole body. Anyone else experience this?
I "see" smells. I don't know if this counts, but nearly everything I smell triggers a memory of a person/place/moment. It's really weird because I must take in loads more smells subconsciously than anything else, like sound or sight.

And my music teacher used to always ask our class what colour different chords were on the piano when she played them to us.
Reply 56
I get a really tinny metallic taste in my mouth whenever I think about or have to use a teaspoon. No other cutlery has this effect.

That's it though, so it probably doesn't count.

Fantasia is a really cool example of synaesthetic expression :biggrin: And wasn't Kandinsky another famous synaesthete?
idk i have really strong feelings about letters(i think of some as being good/bad/ugly/wrong/fake and i am in love with writing the word "ugly" i have favourite words and i write them on paper over and over and all over my college work), numbers, shapes and the arrangement of them. really strong, like it will really play on my mind and i'll arrange them in my head(i play a game in my head trying to pin point the exact centre of a shape or maze and it will keep me awake for ages), i was actually reduced to tears once when arranging four shapes on a piece of A4 paper because it just didn't feel right and made me feel weirdly sick and intense.
it's probably just something to do with ocd, i know i've had that since i was wee and it's always such pathetic and almost superstitious things.

i would hate to get sounds or colours mixed :/ i can't even walk with headphones in because i like to have all my senses and wits about me
hannah-mai
I associate days of the week with colours (monday = red, tuesday = orange, thursday= purple etc) so the colours come into my head when I think of the days, but I'm not sure that's enough to really count as synaesthesia. I find it so interesting though!

Oh my god! I think I have that and I have only just realised this by reading this post! i caught myself thinking "Tuesday = orange? Nahh, it's definitely green." How mad's that?!

Hannah-mai, I can't thank you enough for opening my eyes to my insanity(sorta).
Reply 59
C274
Out of interest, does anyone here think they have synaesthesia?

Synaesthesia is a "condition" (urgh, I hate that word!) where two or more senses in the brain "cross over", if you like. For example, some people see* colours when they listen to songs, when they smell perfume, or when they see letters. Some synaesthetes taste things when they hear words, some have personalities for numbers. Any mix of any 5 senses - sight, sound, touch, taste and smell - could be regarded as synaesthesia.

*I say "see". This can mean physically seeing the colours (projected), or seeing them in your mind's eye (associated).

Seeing numbers/hours/days/weeks/months etc in a specific location in space, for example in a line that changes direction when it gets to 100, or in a circle with April in the 3 o'clock position, is also a form of syn.

It's not an illness, it's just a different way of thinking I suppose. Most synaesthetes don't even notice their syn while doing day to day stuff. It's estimated that as many as 1 in 20 people have at least one form of syn. Synaesthetes are born with it. The most common is grapheme -> colour (where letters evoke colour). Every syns' colours tend to be different for each letter, but a general trend is the letter A being red.

I am a synaesthete, and I wouldn't have it any other way :smile: It fascinates me.
For me, scents, songs and chords evoke colours, and letters and numbers evoke colours and personalities.

If you want more information: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synaesthesia

If you think you have a form of synaesthesia, do post in here as I'd love to hear from you :smile: I'm sure I'm not the only one!
Edit: That's not to say non-syns aren't welcome - if you're interested, syn or non-syn, post away :smile:

I have it when I'm tripping on mushrooms :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending