The Student Room Group

(Oxford Uni) Should I apply for engineering this time?

I initially planned on reapplying for Physics at Oxford this year, but I somehow feel more drawn towards engineering now, you could say I learned to love the real-world application of Physics.
Therefore I'm considering reapplying for the Engineering Science course. Problem is, basically all my extracurricular experience was in the field of physics (e.g. physics olympiads and some experimental competitions as well as attending an astronomy course at my local university). I only sort of came in touch with engineering while designing and programming a lego roboter for a school project, or while building the experimental setups and coding some image processing for that one competition (I have basic self-taught programming knowledge). But I hardly know anything about more "engineering-like" topics e.g. engines, cars and planes.
Could my proposed line of thought ("discovered my passion for engineering through physics") be considered viable for the personal statement and do I stand a chance against other applicants who have more field-related experience? Or should I just stick with physics and try to switch over after bachelor?
To what extent are the engineering interviews based on strictly subject-specific knowledge (e.g.technology)?
Reply 1
Original post by kornaner
I initially planned on reapplying for Physics at Oxford this year, but I somehow feel more drawn towards engineering now, you could say I learned to love the real-world application of Physics.
Therefore I'm considering reapplying for the Engineering Science course. Problem is, basically all my extracurricular experience was in the field of physics (e.g. physics olympiads and some experimental competitions as well as attending an astronomy course at my local university). I only sort of came in touch with engineering while designing and programming a lego roboter for a school project, or while building the experimental setups and coding some image processing for that one competition (I have basic self-taught programming knowledge). But I hardly know anything about more "engineering-like" topics e.g. engines, cars and planes.
Could my proposed line of thought ("discovered my passion for engineering through physics") be considered viable for the personal statement and do I stand a chance against other applicants who have more field-related experience? Or should I just stick with physics and try to switch over after bachelor?
To what extent are the engineering interviews based on strictly subject-specific knowledge (e.g.technology)?

There's a lot of physics/maths in engineering, so it would be fine to have done physics olympiads etc. if appying for engineering. Universities are aware that engineering isn't usually studied in school, but basic sciences and maths are.

For engineering at uni, engineering-specific experience isn't particularly important - it's more about being good at physics/maths and having an interest in engineering.

You can write a bit about your lego robot in your personal statement, and there's still time to find an engineering related book/similar to look at.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending