The Student Room Group

Vacation Scheme Applications - Official Thread 2009!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
TommehR
Norton Rose seems like an absolutely fantastic place to work and train, but their HR hasn't been on top form this year, for whatever reason.

Heh - nothing changes...
Reply 81
blinkbelle
Anyone else applied for the Walker Morris vac scheme 09/training contract 11? I have just sent mine off and am VERY anxious.. I know I won't hear anything for ages but I really would love to work there! Also-anyone have any experience with WM? xx

I'm just doing my Walker Morris application too! :smile: Though I haven't sent mine off yet! Just doing the last minute touches! I hate having to wait - it's awful! Hopefully you'll hear something soon :smile: Good luck!
Reply 82
Anyone been invited for interview yet??
Tasha-twi
Anyone been invited for interview yet??

Wow I'd doubt it...as far as I know not many apps are open atm, the rest are due nov/dec. I'm gonna get my Oct apps off at the end of Oct then start on the rest but I've not really finalised my choices, plus I still have some presentations to see.
Plus I have an exam next Thurs so that's my priority atm!

Ofc I'd like to hear if anyone happens to have an interview though!
Reply 84
*Star*Guitar*
Wow I'd doubt it...as far as I know not many apps are open atm, the rest are due nov/dec. I'm gonna get my Oct apps off at the end of Oct then start on the rest but I've not really finalised my choices, plus I still have some presentations to see.
Plus I have an exam next Thurs so that's my priority atm!

Ofc I'd like to hear if anyone happens to have an interview though!

I think Tasha-twi is referring to Xmas VCs for non-law students. As you're a law student, I don't think you have that many open to you at the mo at all, right?

I haven't heard anything back from the four I've applied to so far (only got one or two more, that I actually WANT anyway), but I guess no news is good news so far....
ssk2
I think Tasha-twi is referring to Xmas VCs for non-law students. As you're a law student, I don't think you have that many open to you at the mo at all, right?

I haven't heard anything back from the four I've applied to so far (only got one or two more, that I actually WANT anyway), but I guess no news is good news so far....

Ah, that will be why Tasha-twi asked, since the closing for apps is like Oct 31 for Winter VSs.
Yeah as I said, apps for Summer VSs aren't open till later. I'm a bit doubtful as to whether I'll get anything, but gotta try!
is there a site that tells you the VS deadlines for diff firms?
Reply 87
http://www.lawcareers.net/Solicitors/VacationSchemeDeadlines.aspx

There's winter and summer vacation scheme deadlines there :smile:

Obviously not ALL firms are there though, but it gives you an idea for the larger firms.
Reply 88
yeh i meant for xmas. Some firms are only open between 1st oct - 31st oct!! I dont no whether that means they'll fill up pretty quickly and possibly even before the deadline like the summer vac schemes do.

the 'checking emails every 5 minutes' is the worst!!
is anyone making their way through the lovells application?
fungirl1234
is anyone making their way through the lovells application?

I've filled in everything but the questions. I'm going to work on them next weekend; I'd be doing them now but have an exam on Thurs which has to take priority really.
Reply 91
*Star*Guitar*
I've filled in everything but the questions.
I don't think that counts. :p:
TommehR
I don't think that counts. :p:

lol, I know, that's just my progress so far, as much as I'd like it to be further!! Ask me at the end of October then. :wink:
*Star*Guitar*
I've filled in everything but the questions. I'm going to work on them next weekend; I'd be doing them now but have an exam on Thurs which has to take priority really.

hey, im basically at the stage you are and will work my way through the questions later at some point. Do they make the application long on purpose?
fungirl1234
hey, im basically at the stage you are and will work my way through the questions later at some point. Do they make the application long on purpose?

lol I know, I don't have the hours to answer them right now! Plus I need to answer them really well so no doubt there'll be a few hours spent on each app :rolleyes:

What have you been basing your choice of firms on so far, when deciding which ones to apply to?
*Star*Guitar*
lol I know, I don't have the hours to answer them right now! Plus I need to answer them really well so no doubt there'll be a few hours spent on each app :rolleyes:

What have you been basing your choice of firms on so far, when deciding which ones to apply to?

I did this target chances summer thing this year and we got to visit a number of law firms. I really liked reynold porter chamberlain. So i will be aplying there. Ive also used lex 100
http://www.lex100.com/ as they have reviews of vac schemes etc. A friend of mine is a trainee for lovells and so she encouraged me to apply to lovells. I also thought why not apply for clifford chance as well lol. What did you use to choose the firms you want to apply to?
fungirl1234
I did this target chances summer thing this year and we got to visit a number of law firms. I really liked reynold porter chamberlain. So i will be aplying there. Ive also used lex 100
http://www.lex100.com/ as they have reviews of vac schemes etc. A friend of mine is a trainee for lovells and so she encouraged me to apply to lovells. I also thought why not apply for clifford chance as well lol. What did you use to choose the firms you want to apply to?

I went to the CSET Summer School and three of the firms I'm applying to I've chosen after talking to trainees at that event. I'm going to a Clifford Chance event in November but still don't think I have the confidence to apply there.
The other firms I chosen over their practice areas, and their general ethos from what I can gather, and their academic requirements when it comes to their TC.
Reply 97
*Star*Guitar*
I'm going to a Clifford Chance event in November but still don't think I have the confidence to apply there.
Don't be silly. The MC (probably excluding S+M), in terms of recruitment, really isn't anything special or unusual compared to most other City firms. Students seem to cultivate this air of mystery and elitism around the MC, but their interviews and assessment criteria are no different to any other big City firm. Hence you get people who are rejected by, for example, Lovells, but get an offer from Linklaters. If you are planning on applying to City firms, you really shouldn't ignore the MC purely because you think it's harder to get into. :smile:
TommehR
Don't be silly. The MC (probably excluding S+M), in terms of recruitment, really isn't anything special or unusual compared to most other City firms. Students seem to cultivate this air of mystery and elitism around the MC, but their interviews and assessment criteria are no different to any other big City firm. Hence you get people who are rejected by, for example, Lovells, but get an offer from Linklaters. If you are planning on applying to City firms, you really shouldn't ignore the MC purely because you think it's harder to get into. :smile:

Yeah you're right really. I'll see how it goes when I visit then :smile:
Reply 99
Has anyone done Eversheds? There's no 'essay-style' questions it seems! It's ridiculously easy.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending