The Student Room Group

non-law second year undergrad hoping to convert to law - advice please !

Hi, i'm a second year undergrad at KCL studying history and I think I want to convert to law after uni. I'm aware that people start work experience, vac schemes and internships ages in advance, and I want to start soon but I would appreciate a little advice about the processes, and the next steps to take or even key things I should be aware of.

I know a little about the process, but it is all quite daunting going into it as someone who is a non-law student and competing with everyone else hoping to go into law (especially for the top firms)

if anyone has any advice about a) key dates or steps to take at this stage as a second year - i.e what I should be doing to put myself in a good position b) advice about vacation schemes and other work experience I should be looking out for at this stage.

much appreciated! :smile:)
Reply 1
Original post by Chloe2202
Hi, i'm a second year undergrad at KCL studying history and I think I want to convert to law after uni. I'm aware that people start work experience, vac schemes and internships ages in advance, and I want to start soon but I would appreciate a little advice about the processes, and the next steps to take or even key things I should be aware of.

I know a little about the process, but it is all quite daunting going into it as someone who is a non-law student and competing with everyone else hoping to go into law (especially for the top firms)

if anyone has any advice about a) key dates or steps to take at this stage as a second year - i.e what I should be doing to put myself in a good position b) advice about vacation schemes and other work experience I should be looking out for at this stage.

much appreciated! :smile:)

Hey!

So what you need to know is that firms recruit their trainees in 2 years in advance. Some firms recruit primarily via their vacation schemes, which are a good way for you to discover the firm and to see whether you would like to work there. The application process is quite difficult and intense because you will need to get past the application form stage, where you normally have to provide a cover letter or answer three questions (these are usually: "why commercial law?"; "why the firm?"; "why you?" + provide details of your work experience and education.

The next stage will probably require you to complete a psychometric test (Watson Glaser; personality tests; Situational Judgement Tests) or video interviews, where you will have to record your answers to a set of given questions. If you pass that, then you will move to the assessment centre, which consists of negotiation/group/written exercises, interviews and potentially case studies. If you are not familiar with the process, I would highly recommend Commercial Law Academy's course on "writing successful applications", "tackling psychometric tests", and "preparing for interviews and assessment centres" because they deal with each stage of the process I detailed above.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending