The Student Room Group

Predicted Grades GCSE/IGCSE

I'm writing to ask if anyone else got seriously MESSED predicted grades from Cambridge in place for their May/June results.
It's even lower than my mock 2 AND mock 1. Did they expect me to become literally brain dead before I wrote the exam?
If you want to know how I feel, I'll write up my results down here for you.

Mock 1-2 results
Art: A-A*
Geography:A
Literature: A
ICT: B
French: B
Maths: C-B
English: C
Biology:C
Economics: D

OFFICIAL PREDICTED GRADES
Art: B
Geography: C
Literature: B
ICT: B
French: C
Maths: B
English: C
Biology: C
Economics: C

My teachers DID NOT predict this low for me. I just want to know how Cambridge robbed me of my As and A* and brought my Geography and Art grade 2 stages lower. I didn't attend secondary school to obtain a set of Cbeebies grades and I know for a fact I would have done better in May/June especially with my Art coursework out of the way. My school sent invites to register for re-sits in October/November but I've already been accepted to 3 A-level schools and this is definitely something I'm ashamed of.

Did anyone else experience this too? I did IGCSE btw
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 1
Yes my son had a similar experience. Hi mock result for History was a B and he was awarded a D yesterday. Shocking, he also wanted to study History at A Level and I am pretty certain that will not happen now.Toatally upsetting, there were other subjects also but this was by far the biggest shock, from a B to a fail.
My friend was getting 9s and 8s in her HW and MOCKs, but ended with 7s and 6s
Reply 3
Original post by micheley
Yes my son had a similar experience. Hi mock result for History was a B and he was awarded a D yesterday. Shocking, he also wanted to study History at A Level and I am pretty certain that will not happen now.Toatally upsetting, there were other subjects also but this was by far the biggest shock, from a B to a fail.

That's such a shame I hope he hasn't lost interest completely. I really wonder why this is happening and how they think it makes sense. Wouldn't we have prepared for the exam before we wrote it? I actually cried all day after opening my results.

I hope your son rediscovers his passion for history if he is currently discouraged, wishing him luck for the next step, and I hope his other grades weren't damaged like that too.
Was this a GCSE or an IGCSE exam?
Reply 4
Original post by oolong.owl
My friend was getting 9s and 8s in her HW and MOCKs, but ended with 7s and 6s

How?????
I wonder how they managed to REDUCE our marks from the mock exams. And they aren't even listening to complaints.
Did your grades go down too? My friend told me that her's stayed the same I have no idea what happened with mine
Original post by penduin
How?????
I wonder how they managed to REDUCE our marks from the mock exams. And they aren't even listening to complaints.
Did your grades go down too? My friend told me that her's stayed the same I have no idea what happened with mine

They did the same thing internationally as well, by bringing most people's scores down by at least one grade. Majority of the students do get higher grades in comparison to their mock scores.

It seems that CIE completely ignored this well-known and observable fact. CIE legit scammed us by making us pay so much money to simply get downgraded.
Reply 6
They really did.
Oh well, hopefully there won't be a pandemic when I'm writing A Levels.
CIE is a huge disappointment. I could have spent that money on a better exam with a more reliable grading system.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by penduin
How?????

Our school had bad history (literally xD No one got a 9 last year in history, after that new teachers were hired) so my history and IT grade was lowered. Yet, my EngLit teacher was a goddess, and somehow I ended up with a 9 instead of 7
Reply 8
Original post by oolong.owl
Our school had bad history (literally xD No one got a 9 last year in history, after that new teachers were hired) so my history and IT grade was lowered. Yet, my EngLit teacher was a goddess, and somehow I ended up with a 9 instead of 7

hmm
My school doesn't have terrible history. I guess I just got unlucky because I seem to be the only person complaining about grades.
Congratulations on your 9! I love literature but somehow my consistent As since yr10 were downgraded to a B.

Quick Reply

Latest