The Student Room Group

Would I get rejected.

If I were to apply to the top 20 universities in the UK for medicine and I got all A* in all the required subjects for A level and did really well in the interview and UCAT but I got ABBBCCD in iGCSE would they reject because of my iGCSE grades. (I got the D in English but my predicted grade was an A I don’t know how this happened, but if I take the IETLS and get a 7.5 and more is that fine.)
some unis will rank candidates by GCSE's and UCAT, and only interview ones who made it into the top 800 or whatever. if ur high UCAT isnt high enough to compensate for low GCSE's u may not even get the interview. However, some unis like imperial purely base ranking off of UCAT, so GCSEs would not matter in this case. Its all about applying stragetically.

Hope that helped.
Reply 2
Original post by ismaelishere
some unis will rank candidates by GCSE's and UCAT, and only interview ones who made it into the top 800 or whatever. if ur high UCAT isnt high enough to compensate for low GCSE's u may not even get the interview. However, some unis like imperial purely base ranking off of UCAT, so GCSEs would not matter in this case. Its all about applying stragetically.

Hope that helped.
Thank you for replying do you know what other universities purely base rankings based off of UCAT only and do not care about GCSE's.
Reply 3
Original post by po101
If I were to apply to the top 20 universities in the UK for medicine and I got all A* in all the required subjects for A level and did really well in the interview and UCAT but I got ABBBCCD in iGCSE would they reject because of my iGCSE grades. (I got the D in English but my predicted grade was an A I don’t know how this happened, but if I take the IETLS and get a 7.5 and more is that fine.)
So I have no idea how you're going to apply to 20 universities but it appears that you will be the first one to do so in one year! Good luck!

OK so all jokes aside, when you apply for university, UCAS only lets you apply to 5 universities. You can do it by yourself by contacting the unis directly but most don't accept those side requests. The GCSEs are a bit shaky I'll be real but if you smash UCAT and have top A level predicted grades, you should be OK. A good UCAT score that will open most if not all avenues of university is around 2900 so try to aim for that.
Original post by po101
Thank you for replying do you know what other universities purely base rankings based off of UCAT only and do not care about GCSE's.

i suggest you mass send emails to the admissions of all the med skls u r considering. copy and paste a few questions u want answered, such as if they consider GCSEs or not as well as any other questions u may have. (for cambridge email one or two of the individual colleges that make up cambridge instead of cambridge itself)

way better than asking on TSR for these types of questions as admissions depends on the uni.
Reply 5
Original post by vnayak
So I have no idea how you're going to apply to 20 universities but it appears that you will be the first one to do so in one year! Good luck!

OK so all jokes aside, when you apply for university, UCAS only lets you apply to 5 universities. You can do it by yourself by contacting the unis directly but most don't accept those side requests. The GCSEs are a bit shaky I'll be real but if you smash UCAT and have top A level predicted grades, you should be OK. A good UCAT score that will open most if not all avenues of university is around 2900 so try to aim for that.
Wait I wrote it wrong I meant if I were to apply to universities from the top 20 not to 20 different universities.
Reply 6
Original post by ismaelishere
i suggest you mass send emails to the admissions of all the med skls u r considering. copy and paste a few questions u want answered, such as if they consider GCSEs or not as well as any other questions u may have. (for cambridge email one or two of the individual colleges that make up cambridge instead of cambridge itself)

way better than asking on TSR for these types of questions as admissions depends on the uni.
Thank you for your advice.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending