The Student Room Group

HELP! which medical school should i apply to with these GCSE'S

hello please give me advice, i have A*AA predicted and band 1 UCAT but my GCSEs are horrible, i have two 7s and five 6s at GCSE what do i do??? has anyone got accepted with these GCSE's?? would i be competitive enough im really stressed
how have you done your UCAT this year but not applied already? the deadline for applying for medicine this year has passed, are you applying next year?
Reply 2
Original post by raspberryrat
how have you done your UCAT this year but not applied already? the deadline for applying for medicine this year has passed, are you applying next year?

yes
Original post by cocoroses123
yes

just look at how the different uni's weight them, deffo don't do Leeds or Leicester as they weight them quite alot
hello please give me advice, i have A*AA predicted and band 1 UCAT but my GCSEs are horrible, i have two 7s and five 6s at GCSE what do i do??? has anyone got accepted with these GCSE's?? would i be competitive enough im really stressed

you would need to do the ucat again anyway this summer.

avoid schools that score gcses, i can give u a list if u like, in order to rule out some unis, but u need to see what ucat score u obtain in the summer before making a shortlist.
Reply 6
Original post by reubenn05

avoid schools that score gcses, i can give u a list if u like, in order to rule out some unis, but u need to see what ucat score u obtain in the summer before making a shortlist.

Yes please can you give me a list
Yes please can you give me a list

so these are the unis that do score gcses so are ones to avoid/rule out:

aston

birmingham

queens belfast

lincoln + nottingham

newcastle if they confirm they have changed scoring process for your yr

leicester

leeds

kent and medway

oxford

cardiff

hull york

kings

you would also not meet basic entry requirements for the following schools:

sheffield

manchester

liverpool

lancaster (double check this one)

you should also check any other medical schools for their gcse requirements, these are just the ones off the top of my head

east anglia (uea)

(edited 3 months ago)
Reply 9

aston

birmingham

queens belfast

lincoln + nottingham

leicester

leeds

kent and medway

oxford

cardiff

hull york

kings

Many people told me that Newcastle don’t even look at GCSEs
Many people told me that Newcastle don’t even look at GCSEs

they currently don't, but at their open day they said they were planning to change their selection process to score gcses in addition to ucat, so they will probably confirm this in due course
Reply 11
100 percent Newcastle changed their requirement for next year , watch from 40:00

This is Newcastle channel
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjkTBTUXOQ4&t=2888s
(edited 3 months ago)
Reply 12
I have 4 As and 2Bs (French and chemistry) should I apply to schools that don't look at IGCSE or the ones where I pass the minimum requirement?
I am an International student applying for the 2025 entry. I am doing my AS level so I will apply with A-level predicted grades.
(I want to know if they are safe to choose or not) I have picked four med schools:

University of Leicester
University of Leeds
The University of Edinburgh
Queens University Belfast

I have done virtual internships to boost my CV and took part in leadership roles in school
(I chose these unis for their PBL and CBL courses plus anatomy method (I prefer dissection))
(for personal interest I looked at their student union)
(edited 2 months ago)
Original post by ola_2007
I have 4 As and 2Bs (French and chemistry) should I apply to schools that don't look at IGCSE or the ones where I pass the minimum requirement?
I am an International student applying for the 2025 entry. I am doing my AS level so I will apply with A-level predicted grades.
(I want to know if they are safe to choose or not) I have picked four med schools:

University of Leicester
University of Leeds
The University of Edinburgh
Queens University Belfast

I have done virtual internships to boost my CV and took part in leadership roles in school
(I chose these unis for their PBL and CBL courses plus anatomy method (I prefer dissection))
(for personal interest I looked at their student union)

I can’t exactly speak for the last two but Leicester and Leeds would not be a good idea I’m pretty sure the last two aren’t either you may need to look at other schools ngl I’m only saying This cause I have similar grades and crossed those off my list but I’m a home student and also RUK
(edited 2 months ago)
Reply 14
I did some research about med schools in the UK, ngl they are very competitive plus with my IGCSE i can't find the right one... Can you suggest uni that might be good fit? I do have Hull York Med School in mind as well.
If you don't mind me asking, are you applying for 2025 entry or?
(edited 2 months ago)
Original post by ola_2007
I did some research about med schools in the UK, ngl they are very competitive plus with my IGCSE i can't find the right one... Can you suggest uni that might be good fit? I do have Hull York Med School in mind as well.
If you don't mind me asking, are you applying for 2025 entry or?

Yes i am hull York scores GCSEs so it really depends on the grades you got I feel like Plymouth is always a safe option in my opinion but idk for internationals
Reply 16
Ooo i will keep that in mind!! thank you!!
Good luck to you too!!!

aston

birmingham

queens belfast

lincoln + nottingham

leicester

leeds

kent and medway

oxford

cardiff

hull york

kings

hull york so would this list be same for entry 2025? , https://www.hyms.ac.uk/medicine/entry-requirements/entry-requirements-medicine

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending