The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Imperial PhD applicants

Anyone here applied for a PhD at Imperial? either waiting to hear back or already been accepted and knows their start dates?

I've lost contact with my potential supervisor after an interview (it went well as far as I could tell), and I don't know whether I should consider myself rejected, as it's getting quite late in the year? lol

more context: the supervisor has gone MIA after assuring that they were working on securing funding for me. don't know what to think at this point :frown:
Original post by wolfbat
Anyone here applied for a PhD at Imperial? either waiting to hear back or already been accepted and knows their start dates?

I've lost contact with my potential supervisor after an interview (it went well as far as I could tell), and I don't know whether I should consider myself rejected, as it's getting quite late in the year? lol

more context: the supervisor has gone MIA after assuring that they were working on securing funding for me. don't know what to think at this point :frown:

This does not sound very encouraging I am afraid, if your potential supervisor is long term MIA they may be on medical leave or possibly tied up in the admissions paperwork tsunami, but you don't tend to leave a new PhD student hanging if you want them and have funding.

One option is to drop the research group your supervisor belongs to an email, copying to the Head of Group, Group Administrator and (for some groups) the academic in charge of PG applications - not every group has one of these, look for links on the group web page. Best of luck.
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Reply 2
that's the thing. it sounded like they wanted me, just needed to figure out funding. that's why i'm confused! surely it's not a case of ignoring until i get the hint...

that sounds like a good idea, thank you! i was thinking of giving a call also?
Original post by wolfbat
that's the thing. it sounded like they wanted me, just needed to figure out funding. that's why i'm confused! surely it's not a case of ignoring until i get the hint...

that sounds like a good idea, thank you! i was thinking of giving a call also?

Unfortunately the funding issue is a big deal, your supervisor needs a minimum of about £100k for a studentship and Imperial typically won't let you start a new PhD student without the whole lot guaranteed up front to avoid people hitting a financial wall part way through. Funding like this is typically not easy to find quickly and most "standard" PhD studentships will have been allocated back in February / March.

Re calling, give it a go but I wouldn't expect that to get very far, most IC staff are still working off site, though some experimental teams are in, but not typically in the office next to a phone. Just about all admin staff will be remote working, but might have a phone redirect.
Reply 4
Original post by Mr Wednesday
Unfortunately the funding issue is a big deal, your supervisor needs a minimum of about £100k for a studentship and Imperial typically won't let you start a new PhD student without the whole lot guaranteed up front to avoid people hitting a financial wall part way through. Funding like this is typically not easy to find quickly and most "standard" PhD studentships will have been allocated back in February / March.

Re calling, give it a go but I wouldn't expect that to get very far, most IC staff are still working off site, though some experimental teams are in, but not typically in the office next to a phone. Just about all admin staff will be remote working, but might have a phone redirect.

Oh...i see. that sounds sensible. i was interviewed in April though, so thought that was standard practice.

ok yeah that makes sense about the phones! i don't have their mobile, so probably not the best option after all!

thank you so much for your help! i'll try to email like you suggested.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending