The Student Room Group

Choosing between KCL and Imperial

In late 2022 I applied to univerisites to study postgrad taught courses in Theoretical Physics. I was unsuccesful with my application to Imperial College as my Physics degree didn't contain enough Physics credits (I recieved credit transfer as I already had a degree in Mechanical Engineering).

I also applied to and was succesful in my application to both KCL and Queen Mary and chose KCL.

However the admissions tutor at Imperial has emailed me to offer me a place as they've had unusually low acceptance rates. And now I don't know where to go.

Initially I would have chosen Imperial over Kings, simply due to reputation. And although both courses are extremely similar, I think I slightly prefer the course at Kings. And studying at Kings is quite a bit cheaper but cost is not that big of an issue. I also want to move onto a PhD after the course, and have a slight feeling, although I could be wrong, that the repuation of Imperial would help my applications.

Could anybody offer any advice?
Reply 1
by how much do you prefer the course at kings? if its a little, i wouldn't say its much a difference and i'd say go for the uni w more reputation, esp Imperial being good at Physics specifically.
Reply 2
Original post by veau17
by how much do you prefer the course at kings? if its a little, i wouldn't say its much a difference and i'd say go for the uni w more reputation, esp Imperial being good at Physics specifically.

The courses are very similar, and the admissions tutor at Imperial said that too. However at Kings, they teach a module that is at the forefront of Theoretical Physics, I don't think any other UK university teaches it on a postgrad taught course. I think they teach it because it's the subject of a lot of the research conducted by the academics at Kings. Imperials academics do do research in this area but it doesn't seem to be to the same extent. And since it is in vogue, a lot of grant money goes towards this area, so will be good for my possible future PhD and career.

I've also been told that the Kings department is smaller, therefore there's a possibility that you can get to know and develop a relationship with the professors, which is important from a reference perspective. From what I've been told this doesn't really happen at Imperial, it's a bit more formal, at least for Masters students since the department is bigger.

I am really nitpicking, it's such a close call. I would love to have Imperial on my CV, but I don't think I would to the extent that I would a course ever so slightly less suited to me. So I think I am going to pick Kings.
Pick KCL, always go where you would be happiest.
Reply 4
Original post by GLTG
The courses are very similar, and the admissions tutor at Imperial said that too. However at Kings, they teach a module that is at the forefront of Theoretical Physics, I don't think any other UK university teaches it on a postgrad taught course. I think they teach it because it's the subject of a lot of the research conducted by the academics at Kings. Imperials academics do do research in this area but it doesn't seem to be to the same extent. And since it is in vogue, a lot of grant money goes towards this area, so will be good for my possible future PhD and career.

I've also been told that the Kings department is smaller, therefore there's a possibility that you can get to know and develop a relationship with the professors, which is important from a reference perspective. From what I've been told this doesn't really happen at Imperial, it's a bit more formal, at least for Masters students since the department is bigger.

I am really nitpicking, it's such a close call. I would love to have Imperial on my CV, but I don't think I would to the extent that I would a course ever so slightly less suited to me. So I think I am going to pick Kings.

At the end of the day, i’m sure your skills and talents will be the definitive thing about you, not just the reputation of a university in ur CV. Besides, both unis are world-renowned. I wish you the best of luck :smile:
You seem to have put a lot of thought into it, I’d say go with King’s for the very reason you stated. You’re going the academic route, professors more than the university when doing your PhD.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending