The Student Room Group

Vet Med Personal Statement 2021 Entry

I am applying for 2021 entry in vet med at Cambridge, Edinburgh, Notts & Bristol and am writing my personal statement. I am struggling how to organise my PS (particularly the first and last paragraphs), especially as I have little work experience (week in a clinic and a few years worth of volunteering at the stables I kept my own horses). I am not sure whether I should mention sport in the main body of the PS or in the final paragraph, as I know typically it is for extra curricular. Also finding it difficult to convey a love of animals and passion for vet med without coming off cliché 'I have wanted to be a vet ever since I was little' etc. Any general advice would b very helpful thx x
(edited 3 years ago)
I would emphasise the qualities you've seen in a good vet - be that from your week in practice or time dealing with vets for your own animals - and use your own personal experiences to reflect how you demonstrate these.

E.g. vets have a large role in educating the public about animal care, this requires a strong ability to communicate well and effectively.... when volunteering in a stables I helped someone less knowledgeable than myself (be that a child or Horse and Hound forum dweller :wink:) to progress with their horsemanship or understand caring for their horse better etc etc.

I would also point out you are aware of the realities of veterinary science - that it is long hours, not amazing pay (relatively speaking to other clinical programmes), high stress/emotional burden, high drop out rates etc that you can demonstrate your understanding of the profession. You can then span this to how you will be resilient to these challenges - which you could link to stress relieving hobbies such as sport

Just a few ideas to help get the ball rolling. If you read the admissions statements for the schools you're applying for you will better see how your statement will be used. If I recall correctly Bristol don't even consider the statement and I am unsure if Nottingham do anymore either now.
I would read a few example PS to get an idea of structure. What @TheWannabeFarmer said is some great ideas! It is definitely worth mentioning somewhere things that you do outside of vet things as vet schools want an idea of who you are! Liverpool are also another one that don’t use PS in their selection process!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending