The Student Room Group

How do I write a personal statement?

My school is providing me with absolutely no help with my vet med application. I have no idea what a personal statement is, or for that matter, how to navigate UCAS. Im applying in October next year but because most people in my school wouldn’t be applying to courses with an early deadline, the school doesn’t tell us anything about setting up a UCAS account until September at the earliest, which I think is much too late. Any advice at all would be much appreciated thank you. 🙏
Original post by Elizabeth200
My school is providing me with absolutely no help with my vet med application. I have no idea what a personal statement is, or for that matter, how to navigate UCAS. Im applying in October next year but because most people in my school wouldn’t be applying to courses with an early deadline, the school doesn’t tell us anything about setting up a UCAS account until September at the earliest, which I think is much too late. Any advice at all would be much appreciated thank you. 🙏

Hi @Elizabeth200,

I'm sorry to hear you're experiencing this, I hope I can help you a bit with your concerns.

A personal statement is an opportunity for applicants like you to showcase their experiences, achievements, personality and motivations. Personal statements allow the admissions team at the university an insight into who you are beyond your academic achievements. It allows applicants to share their unique interests, and qualities that make you a valuable addition for their course. Please be aware that there are guidelines to writing your personal statement and when you submit it on UCAS, e.g (4000 characters, no formatting etc...)

The content of what goes into a personal statement can vary between individuals, depending on their life events. But typically, you should include key ideas such as: career goals, relevant experiences, skills and qualities, personal attributes. Furthermore, rather than just listing moments or examples of skills and personal attributes, try to give an example of when you demonstrated this. You could try include a relevant anecdote that occurred in your life that sparked your interest in veterinary medicine.

We have a really thorough and insightful resource that states all there is to know about personal statements, and guides you can read to help you write one here: https://bit.ly/47KUgR8

Hope this helps,
Danish
BCU Student Rep
(edited 4 months ago)
Reply 2
I got no help writing mine either, but so far I've gotten two interview offers from it. These would be my top tips once you get started.
Write out everything you can think of in regards to your experience with animals, volunteering and any other achievements. If you haven't gotten any work experience now is the time to do that, try different places, zoos, vets, an abattoir if you can get it. The main thing is to show an awareness of the job, and whatever you've gained from it.
Don't stress too much about having tons of incredible stories or anecdotes but it's good to haveone or two. I used watching a c-section and holding the newborn pup. Look up examples of personal statements (They have a ton here somewhere) and you'll see all the different stories from past applicants. The important thing is that you pick something that affected you and your motivation to be a vet.
They should have your predicted grades but mention your strengths in regards to vet med, parts of biology or chemistry that might tie into your studies, I used skeletal system in regards to orthopaedic science but you dont have to be that specific.
It's important to remember that anything you mention in your personal statement can be brought up in an interview, so don't make anything up. Be yourself. Best of luck on your application hope it goes well for you next year!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending