The Student Room Group

Investment banking HELP

I have an offer to study History and Political Economy at KCL for this year, trying to switch to Political Economy. But I want to do economics so political economy is pretty much the same thing but more my cup of tea. So anyway I wanna do economics at uni and do my masters. In the event I don’t do my masters I’ll probably go into investment banking. Would this degree whether it’s with/without history help me get into it and get a good job with a good salary or should I change.

I was also looking at taking a gap year and looked at doing BAEcon at the uni of Manchester so how would this be at my chances. If I did take a gap year I’d also look at applying at UCL for HPE which I was rejected by on results day. Economic History at LSE. History and Political Economy at KCL. Political Economy at KCL. Modern History with Economics at Uni of Manchester. BAEcon at uni of Manchester.Economics at St Andrews. Econ/Econ & Politics at Edinburgh/Glasgow and maybe Birmingham or Exeter.

Side note I got A*AB at A-Level

So can you help me please In whether I should stay and do History and Political Economy at KCL or take a gap year and go Manchester or any of the other uni’s and how they each would help me get into economics or investment banking as a career as it’s something I love and would like to get into. I feel as if History and Political Economy may not help me gain a career in economics or IB but maybe pure political economy might or economics elsewhere so help would be greatful!
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by INEEDHELP.PLEASE
I have an offer to study History and Political Economy at KCL for this year, trying to switch to Political Economy. But I want to do economics so political economy is pretty much the same thing but more my cup of tea. So anyway I wanna do economics at uni and do my masters. In the event I don’t do my masters I’ll probably go into investment banking. Would this degree whether it’s with/without history help me get into it and get a good job with a good salary or should I change.

I was also looking at taking a gap year and looked at doing BAEcon at the uni of Manchester so how would this be at my chances. If I did take a gap year I’d also look at applying at UCL for HPE which I was rejected by on results day. Economic History at LSE. History and Political Economy at KCL. Political Economy at KCL. Modern History with Economics at Uni of Manchester. BAEcon at uni of Manchester.Economics at St Andrews. Econ/Econ & Politics at Edinburgh/Glasgow and maybe Birmingham or Exeter.

Side note I got A*AB at A-Level

So can you help me please In whether I should stay and do History and Political Economy at KCL or take a gap year and go Manchester or any of the other uni’s and how they each would help me get into economics or investment banking as a career as it’s something I love and would like to get into. I feel as if History and Political Economy may not help me gain a career in economics or IB but maybe pure political economy might or economics elsewhere so help would be greatful!

Investment banking is very competitive. If you really want to get into something competitive like that, your best shot would to get offers from UCL or LSE. As for A*AB, I think you’ll have to check with the entrance requirements at the universities. If you want high potential wages then straight economics is probably the be best option but UCL and LSE offer economics if you have a A*AA, A* being in maths. As for Manchester, you could try Manchester straight econ, I think you just fit the requirements. At the end of the day IB is very competitive, the most prestigious the uni you come from, the better your chance of getting us.
Reply 2
I got an offer to study BSc economics and statistics at UCL. I am an international student and the tuition fee is around 36000 pounds pa, is the degree worth it?
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Nuttyboi
I got an offer to study BSc economics and statistics at UCL. I am an international student and the tuition fee is around 36000 pounds pa, is the degree worth it?

Well, it’s hard to say if a degree is ever “worth it”. Obviously a degree in UCL is very impressive. UCL is a target university in the investment banking industry, along with Warwick, Oxbridge, imperial and LSE. In my opinion, UCL is a fantastic university and will open a lot of doors. I mean it’s right in the middle of London and that’s what gives the London universities an advantage in investment banking.

Also, did you only apply to UCL? What other uni did you apply to?
If your goal is investment banking you're much better off going to KCL than you are Manchester. Manchester is basically a non-target and KCL is a London semi-target. What degree you do doesnt matter for finance/IB, they really don't care. But if you want a career in economics you're obviously going to need a masters in economics. I'm not sure how easy it is to do a MEcon from a B in political economy (not to say it's hard, I genuinely don't know).

From your choices though, KCL is definitely better.
Idk why others are suggesting other unis that aren't even in your consideration.
Reply 6
Original post by TheStressMachime
Also, did you only apply to UCL? What other uni did you apply to?

I have applied to LSE also. btw when will LSE start giving offers for bsc eco?
Reply 7
Original post by TheStressMachime
Well, it’s hard to say if a degree is ever “worth it”. Obviously a degree in UCL is very impressive. UCL is a target university in the investment banking industry, along with Warwick, Oxbridge, imperial and LSE. In my opinion, UCL is a fantastic university and will open a lot of doors. I mean it’s right in the middle of London and that’s what gives the London universities an advantage in investment banking.

I am from India, and my family income is around 20000 pounds pa. So, by "worth it" I meant, will I be able to make some good placement out of the degree? Or will be able to get a good job after completing the course?
Hope you are getting it.
I am from India, and my family income is around 20000 pounds pa. So, by "worth it" I meant, will I be able to make some good placement out of the degree? Or will be able to get a good job after completing the course?
Hope you are getting it.

Those are some hefty fees. The answer is yes to all your questions as long as you work hard. You need to do more than just complete the course though. Read the sticky threads.
Hope you are getting it.

Well if you get a place in LSE for straight Econ, then you are set. Econ at LSE is the most lucrative degree and is one of the best degrees in terms of pay. Regardless, a UCL or LSE econ degree is obviously worth it if you want high pay. You should check out some websites that’ll give you information for what a typical graduate with those degrees earn. Uni guide is a good website.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending