The Student Room Group

revision techniques

heyy i usually just use standard flashcards/ mindmaps for my word bases subjects and for maths and physics i just do practice. Do you have any revision techniques that you would recommend for any subject type or some sort of method that really improved your grades xx
Reply 1
Original post by yourlocalwasian
heyy i usually just use standard flashcards/ mindmaps for my word bases subjects and for maths and physics i just do practice. Do you have any revision techniques that you would recommend for any subject type or some sort of method that really improved your grades xx

hey im not sure what ur studying but ive finished my gcses and got 10 9s so hopefully this is useful. my biggest tip would be exam questions. there’s so many ways to use them. for example, doing under timed conditions. then do them without notes then go back in a diff colour using ur notes to help u. mark schemes will be the biggest help as so many questions are repeated (well similar qs tend to crop up in nearly every paper) and the mark schemes are the same. learn them!!! as for learning the content in the first place, id say try to do active recall, not just reading books. like write down or “splurge” all ur knowledge of a topic onto a piece of paper, then use all ur notes etc to go through and add in w a diff colour what u didn’t know. then before the exam u can just read through the stuff in colour u didn’t know! hope this helps! feel free to ask any subject specific questions too
i took
english lit
english lang
maths
bio chem phys
german
latin
comp sci
rs

and am doing bio chem rs german alevel!
hii first of a

Original post by sreddy
hey im not sure what ur studying but ive finished my gcses and got 10 9s so hopefully this is useful. my biggest tip would be exam questions. there’s so many ways to use them. for example, doing under timed conditions. then do them without notes then go back in a diff colour using ur notes to help u. mark schemes will be the biggest help as so many questions are repeated (well similar qs tend to crop up in nearly every paper) and the mark schemes are the same. learn them!!! as for learning the content in the first place, id say try to do active recall, not just reading books. like write down or “splurge” all ur knowledge of a topic onto a piece of paper, then use all ur notes etc to go through and add in w a diff colour what u didn’t know. then before the exam u can just read through the stuff in colour u didn’t know! hope this helps! feel free to ask any subject specific questions too
i took
english lit
english lang
maths
bio chem phys
german
latin
comp sci
rs

hii first of all those are incredible grades you must be so proud thats so amazing!! Thank you so much for the advice ill definitely follow suit because im trying to aim for as many 8s as i can and maybe hopefully some 9s too and i take almost the same subjects as you!
Original post by sreddy
i took
english lit
english lang
maths
bio chem phys
german
latin
comp sci
rs

hii first of all those are incredible grades you must be so proud thats so amazing!! Thank you so much for the advice ill definitely follow suit because im trying to aim for as many 8s as i can and maybe hopefully some 9s too and i take almost the same subjects as you!
ahh sorry i think i replied twice x
Reply 5
ahh sorry i think i replied twice x

that’s ok don’t worry! good luck
exam practice is important for all subjects so do as much as you can :yep: little and often is best, don't overwork yourself as you don't want to burn out. set some time aside each day to focus on revision. i really recommend the app adapt if you're struggling to organise your revision, it does all the work for you in terms of organisation:smile:
Original post by absolutelysprout
exam practice is important for all subjects so do as much as you can :yep: little and often is best, don't overwork yourself as you don't want to burn out. set some time aside each day to focus on revision. i really recommend the app adapt if you're struggling to organise your revision, it does all the work for you in terms of organisation:smile:

yehah i really went full out year 7-10 and revised for every test flat out and im kinda worried i have 'burned out' because after lockdown i just felt so :/ but im getting back on track!! and also if anyone else is reading this in year 7-10 dont make the same mistake i did and really stress yourself out about little tests like i would literally like cry if i got a grade i wasnt happy with and in the long term it didnt do me any good xx
yehah i really went full out year 7-10 and revised for every test flat out and im kinda worried i have 'burned out' because after lockdown i just felt so :/ but im getting back on track!! and also if anyone else is reading this in year 7-10 dont make the same mistake i did and really stress yourself out about little tests like i would literally like cry if i got a grade i wasnt happy with and in the long term it didnt do me any good xx

that's good though you've learnt from your past mistakes!! grades do not equal self worth :yep:
good luck!!:hugs:

Quick Reply

Latest