The Student Room Group

GCSEs

How did you manage to achieve 9s in GCSEs
I know someone who did this. She sacrificied her social life. Worked after school and all weekend. My brutally honest opinion. Focus on everything obviously but with a little extra effort on your A level subjects. I have never been asked about my GCSE subjects, its to give you a heads up for A levels really (which you definitely need to work really hard at). If you really want all 9s, you need to be working day in day out.
Original post by Thatgirl Pretty
How did you manage to achieve 9s in GCSEs

Hi @Thatgirl Pretty,

Undoubtedly a lot of effort will be required on your behalf to achieve such high attainment, but it can be manageable and does not have to be (too) stressful!

Some tips I have for you are:

Devising a revision timetable: This really helped me stay on track and distribute my dedication toward my subjects after school. I devised the timetable around which classes I had that day in school e.g On Thursdays I had Biology, Chemistry, Geography and English Language - I would dedicate my time afterschool at home to revise the content we went through that day in those classes. I would re-read the textbook and refine any notes.

Work alongside the specification points: I pretty much used this to navigate my revision sessions and to make sure I covered exactly everything I had to know for the exam. Every definition, diagram, equation, mechanism etc...

Pomodoro technique: Although a lot of time will be dedicated toward revision, I've found that revising hours upon hours non-stop actually causes me to burnout, causes mental fatigue and disrupts my revision as a whole. I implemented the pomodoro technique as a healthy way to revise without feeling burnt out- giving me breaks in between to rest and lets my brain refocus back to revision when it's time.

Revision techniques: In my opinion, a very underrated technique is the blurting technique (you can read more about it here: https://bit.ly/3uCzvZl + many other revision techniques) and I've found that blurting helped me retain the content for much longer and much easier.

Hope this helps! Good luck :smile:
Danish
BCU Student Rep
Original post by BCU Student Rep

Hi @Thatgirl Pretty,

Undoubtedly a lot of effort will be required on your behalf to achieve such high attainment, but it can be manageable and does not have to be (too) stressful!

Some tips I have for you are:

Devising a revision timetable: This really helped me stay on track and distribute my dedication toward my subjects after school. I devised the timetable around which classes I had that day in school e.g On Thursdays I had Biology, Chemistry, Geography and English Language - I would dedicate my time afterschool at home to revise the content we went through that day in those classes. I would re-read the textbook and refine any notes.

Work alongside the specification points: I pretty much used this to navigate my revision sessions and to make sure I covered exactly everything I had to know for the exam. Every definition, diagram, equation, mechanism etc...

Pomodoro technique: Although a lot of time will be dedicated toward revision, I've found that revising hours upon hours non-stop actually causes me to burnout, causes mental fatigue and disrupts my revision as a whole. I implemented the pomodoro technique as a healthy way to revise without feeling burnt out- giving me breaks in between to rest and lets my brain refocus back to revision when it's time.

Revision techniques: In my opinion, a very underrated technique is the blurting technique (you can read more about it here: https://bit.ly/3uCzvZl + many other revision techniques) and I've found that blurting helped me retain the content for much longer and much easier.

Hope this helps! Good luck :smile:
Danish
BCU Student Rep

OMG thank you so much for your kind advice

Quick Reply

Latest