The Student Room Group

Options after graduating with a Biomedical Science BSc degree but with no placement

Hi everyone, I'm about to start my third year of Biomedical Science but due to covid and getting rejected at some companies this year, I was unable to find a year or even a summer placement at all. It was quite frustrating trying to find a placement and preparing for it but it can't be helped tbh. I am getting worried because I will graduate this year and am hoping to get a high 2:1 at least but wanted to ask what are my options after graduating from this degree with no placement/work experience. I know you can get a masters but I also kind of want to find a job may be to work in a lab somewhere or even anything pathology related but I'm keeping my options open. I know it's super difficult to be able to be a biomedical scientist did I haven't done an HCPC. Any help is much appreciated, thank you! :smile:
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Penguin1299
Hi everyone, I'm about to start my third year of Biomedical Science but due to covid and getting rejected at some companies this year, I was unable to find a year or even a summer placement at all. It was quite frustrating trying to find a placement and preparing for it but it can't be helped tbh. I am getting worried because I will graduate this year and am hoping to get a high 2:1 at least but wanted to ask what are my options after graduating from this degree with no placement/work experience. I know you can get a masters but I also kind of want to find a job may be to work in a lab somewhere or even anything pathology related but I'm keeping my options open. I know it's super difficult to be able to be a biomedical scientist did I haven't done an HCPC. Any help is much appreciated, thank you! :smile:

Are you interested in doing Graduate Entry Medicine at all?
Reply 2
Original post by Loreto2018
Are you interested in doing Graduate Entry Medicine at all?

I have definitely considered doing medicine before Biomed and as dumb as it sounds, the pressure to do it is immense and I genuinely don't think I have the intelligence nor the commitment to do something that is very competitive to even get into. I think the idea of working in a lab is much more appealing though
You're half way down the indirect route and longer route to being a Biomedical Scientist. If it's something you want to commit to then you're going to have to take an entry-level role at a salary you probably wouldn't of expected you'd take when you applied for University just to gain NHS experience, and then apply for Trainee jobs which, if you're lucky (additional help by a willingness to apply for any discipline and also relocate) then you'll be able to find one.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending