The Student Room Group

Bioscience vs Biomedical Science

I am stuck between studying either of these subjects at university and wondered if you can get into being a biomed scientist in the NHS with either course or if it's just the biomed one. I have not fully decided on becoming that at the end of my degree but just looking at the career options of both.
Original post by erinm321
I am stuck between studying either of these subjects at university and wondered if you can get into being a biomed scientist in the NHS with either course or if it's just the biomed one. I have not fully decided on becoming that at the end of my degree but just looking at the career options of both.

Hi @erinm321

To become a Biomedical Scientist in the NHS you need an IBMS accredited Biomedical Science degree (otherwise you will have to complete top up modules after completing your degree). Not all Biomedical Science degrees are accredited - so look out for this when applying. I'd also recommend looking for universities that offer a placement year, as you need a year placement in the NHS where you complete a portfolio to be able to apply to the HCPC for registration as a Biomedical Scientist.

I've linked the Biomedical Science degree at Lancaster below - we are IBMS accredited and offer the option of applying for the NHS placement year!
https://www.lancaster.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/biomedical-science-bsc-hons-b990/2023/

Biomedical Science shares a first year with Biomedicine at Lancaster, which is not accredited by the IBMS but does have more flexibility with optional modules, so there is an opportunity to switch. However, just because a degree is IBMS accredited does not mean you have to become a biomedical scientist, as it's still a well rounded bioscience degree and opens up doors into further scientific research or other pathways like teaching, finance, or recruitment.

If you have any questions please let me know!
Rebecca (Lancaster Student Ambassador)
There are a lot of different science rolls in the NHS
these require different bioscience degrees

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending