Original post by mqb2766
What do you mean by the second part?

D2C6D255-F355-4F92-A19F-0288490975EE.jpeg
This is the question
Reply 3
Original post by Ogaar
D2C6D255-F355-4F92-A19F-0288490975EE.jpeg
This is the question

Which part are you having trouble with? It looks straightforward.
Reply 4
Original post by mqb2766
Which part are you having trouble with? It looks straightforward.

Well, haven’t really done any evaluation like this at A-Level.
My answer was n^(n-1) + 5 but apparently this is wrong.
The question after is simple as well but I can’t do it either. It was sin(t) with the text below saying t = pi.
Apparently the answer can’t be cos(pi) as it must be an integer or decimal so I put zero as well but apparently that was wrong too. Maybe I’m just answering them wrong?
Reply 5
Original post by Ogaar
Well, haven’t really done any evaluation like this at A-Level.
My answer was n^(n-1) + 5 but apparently this is wrong.
The question after is simple as well but I can’t do it either. It was sin(t) with the text below saying t = pi.
Apparently the answer can’t be cos(pi) as it must be an integer or decimal so I put zero as well but apparently that was wrong too. Maybe I’m just answering them wrong?

How do you differentiate x^2, x^3, ..., x^n? Spot the pattern. Then 1^(n-1) =...
You must have covered this.
(edited 3 years ago)
Notation means: "find d/dx for the expression, the final answer is what you get when you substitute x=1 into that expression".
Reply 7
Original post by DFranklin
Notation means: "find d/dx for the expression, the final answer is what you get when you substitute x=1 into that expression".

Thank you. I’ve never been really taught notation by my college for some reason
Reply 8
Original post by mqb2766
How do you differentiate x^2, x^3, ..., x^n? Spot the pattern. Then 1^(n-1) =...
You must have covered this.

Yeah I’m pretty rusty after the long break, I was having trouble with the notation mainly as I had never encountered it before
Reply 9
Original post by DFranklin

Wait, surely the final answer depends on what n is then? I have n(1)^(n-1) + 5(1) but this isn’t correct...
1^(n-1) = ...
So the answer is ...
Reply 11
Original post by mqb2766
1^(n-1) = ...
So the answer is ...

Where have you only got 1 from? Surely it’s n^(n-1). If it’s 1 then overall obviously it equals 1 + 5 = 6 but that’s not correct...
Original post by Ogaar
Where have you only got 1 from? Surely it’s n^(n-1). If it’s 1 then overall obviously it equals 1 + 5 = 6 but that’s not correct...

What is the derivative of x^3?
Where is the x term in your expression n^(n-1)? Is this before or after you sub x=1.
Reply 13
Original post by mqb2766
What is the derivative of x^3?
Where is the x term in your expression n^(n-1)? Is this before or after you sub x=1

Oh I get you now man. I’m being stupid. Anything multiplied by 1 is 1. So 1^n-1 is 1... but how come the answer isn’t 6 then? I’ve tried that before.
Original post by Ogaar
Oh I get you now man. I’m being stupid. Anything multiplied by 1 is 1. So 1^n-1 is 1... but how come the answer isn’t 6 then? I’ve tried that before.

You are rusty :-).
What is the derivative before you sub x=1?
Reply 15
Original post by mqb2766
You are rusty :-).
What is the derivative before you sub x=1?

nx^(n-1) + 5
Original post by Ogaar
nx^(n-1) + 5

Ok so sub x=1 and remember there are two operations in the first term: multiplication and power.
Reply 17
Original post by mqb2766
Ok so sub x=1 and remember there are two operations in the first term: multiplication and power.

You end up with the indice not having an effect first, since 1 to the power of anything is 1. Then you just have nx + 5, which isn’t the correct answer btw
Original post by Ogaar
You end up with the indice not having an effect first, since 1 to the power of anything is 1. Then you just have nx + 5, which isn’t the correct answer btw

Why x in that expression? You've replaced it with 1?
Reply 19
Original post by mqb2766
Why x in that expression? You've replaced it with 1?

I meant n + 5, my bad. Thank you for solving my problem, I feel like an idiot rn. This is what happens when you don’t do maths for 4 months.

Quick Reply

Latest