The Student Room Group
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham

Birmingham or Manchester uni?

Which one is better? I would like to study theology but I don't know which is the best from a student perspective, especially as there have been no open days with COVID. Please give a reason for your answer :smile: Thanks!
Original post by iibantaclausii
Which one is better? I would like to study theology but I don't know which is the best from a student perspective, especially as there have been no open days with COVID. Please give a reason for your answer :smile: Thanks!

Hi @iibantaclausii,

Is it the BA Theology and Religion programme you were interested in, or were you considering any of our other programmes for example, BA Philosophy, Religion and Ethics or BA Politics Religion and Philosophy? The reason I ask is because these programmes have become increasingly popular over the last few years due to their flexibility. These interdisciplinary degrees allow students to select modules from 2/3 departments and create a degree that is completely tailored to their interests.

Were there any particular aspects of Theology that interest you? Perhaps then I can pick out some modules that might be of interest.

Molly :smile:
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham
Original post by UoB - Arts and Law
Hi @iibantaclausii,

Is it the BA Theology and Religion programme you were interested in, or were you considering any of our other programmes for example, BA Philosophy, Religion and Ethics or BA Politics Religion and Philosophy? The reason I ask is because these programmes have become increasingly popular over the last few years due to their flexibility. These interdisciplinary degrees allow students to select modules from 2/3 departments and create a degree that is completely tailored to their interests.

Were there any particular aspects of Theology that interest you? Perhaps then I can pick out some modules that might be of interest.

Molly :smile:

Hi Molly, I was interested in the BA Theology and Religion programme. I would like to learn an ancient language, I like the problem of evil and suffering, the problem of God, discussing God's existence and the impact of religion on our lives.
Original post by iibantaclausii
Hi Molly, I was interested in the BA Theology and Religion programme. I would like to learn an ancient language, I like the problem of evil and suffering, the problem of God, discussing God's existence and the impact of religion on our lives.

Hi @iibantaclausii,

I'm so sorry I thought I had already replied to this, my bad!

There is certainly scope to learn ancient languages starting in the second year of the BA Theology and Religion programme. Optional modules include 'Biblical Hebrew Language', 'Introduction to Qur’anic and Classical Arabic' and 'New Testament Greek'.

In terms of the impact of religion on our lives, it sounds like the year 2 module 'Religion in Contemporary Society' would be perfect for you. This module will focus on religion and its role in society, with particular reference on politics nationally and internationally. It will also focus on religion and identity and theories and issues around multiculturalism.

In terms of the problem/existence of God, and the problem of suffering, I believe you will likely have an introduction to these debates in your first year compulsory modules. You will then be able to build upon these debates in years two and three with example modules such as 'Jewish Religious Responses to the Holocaust', 'God and Money' and 'Visions of God in Christian Theology'.

This is just a small sample of the modules we have on offer, you can find much greater detail on what these modules include by looking at the Module Handbook. Just click on each year of the BA Theology and Religion course to see the modules on offer for that year.

I hope this helps, if you have any further questions just let me know. Don't forget you can speak to a current Theology and Religion student through Unibuddy. - Molly :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending