The Student Room Group

Serial Dilutions question

Hi I really struggle with serial dilutions, please could someone help me with this question?

How much distilled water should be added to a 5ml stock solution to make a 25 X dilution?

** update - I've had another go and I've worked out 4.8 ml.. **
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by science_geeks
Hi I really struggle with serial dilutions, please could someone help me with this question?

How much distilled water should be added to a 5ml stock solution to make a 25 X dilution?

If it's a 25x deilution you must end up with the same moles in 25 x more volume.

So you add 24 times the initial volume, so the total volume is 25x the original volume.
Reply 2
Original post by science_geeks

Given that charco answered your Q about five hours before you posted your incorrect update, then I'd be worried, if I were you.

You worked out how much water you'd need to make 5 ml of a 25x dilution of your stock, rather than "to add to [the] stock solution".
Original post by charco
If it's a 25x deilution you must end up with the same moles in 25 x more volume.

So you add 24 times the initial volume, so the total volume is 25x the original volume.

Thank you for your help! That makes sense :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest