The Student Room Group

Tsunamis hit South East Asia

BBC News
Sky News
The links haven't been updated, but I've heard that there's at least 1000 dead in Sri Lanka, and hundreds more in other South East Asian coutries.

I feel absolutely devastated :frown:
My cousin in (South) India has told us that there were a few hundred who died on the beach closeby. In fact, I've been to someone's house who lives by that beach.
There's also various places in Sri Lanka that I've been to that have probably flooded. And then there's all our relatives/friends visiting Sri Lanka- I have no idea what's happened to them :frown:

I just pray that all goes well.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
oh dear :/ 8.9 on the richter :redface:
Reply 2
kikzen
oh dear :/ 8.9 on the richter :redface:

Why the ' :redface: ' ?

You have family in the Maldives?
mockel
BBC News
Sky News
The links haven't been updated, but I've heard that there's at least 1000 dead in Sri Lanka, and hundreds more in other South East Asian coutries.

I feel absolutely devastated :frown:
My cousin in (South) India has told us that there were a few hundred who died on the beach closeby. In fact, I've been to someone's house who lives by that beach.
There's also various places in Sri Lanka that I've been to that have probably flooded. And then there's all our relatives/friends visiting Sri Lanka- I have no idea what's happened to them :frown:

I just pray that all goes well.

Omg, that is so sad :frown: I heard about it on the radio today, but I didn't realise the extent of it. Well even though I don't know any1 in that area, I'll definitely pray for you and all that you know!!! I hope the people you know are alright :redface:

Lots of luv, Danni xoxox
Reply 4
:eek: a girl from work on her gap year went out to Thailand on the 24th...i hope shes OK.
Reply 5
A few hours ago I heard that up to 1 million people could be affected in SL.
Seems like my family in India's okay, but SL is still a bit of a mystery to us, since it's hard getting through.
I feel pretty helpless at the moment.....there's not much I can really do, except for prayer.
Reply 6
Yep just spoke to a friend in India, he's fine and the damage around his area is minimal, but apparently not so far away there are quite a few dead and an awful lot of damage :-S
Reply 7
:eek: one of lecturers is going out there to assess damage
this time last year is was Bam earthquake... :frown:
Reply 8
that sucks majorly :frown:

considering its already killed more and caused far more damage than 9/11, i wonder if we'll hear loads about it for years...doubt it'll be on much beyond next week myself :mad:
Reply 9
having to say i agree with ya there technik :frown: well me and my mates fron uni will be talking about well into feb i expect
It's terrible. :frown:

And technik, I agree - I bet this won't be in the news that long. In the West it's easy to distance oneself from such matters.
Reply 13

Looks terrible....I don't even recognise the place :frown:

My mum's frantically phoning her aunty atm- apparently her road (which is right by the sea) was badly hit.
Reply 14
hope everything is ok mockel
Reply 15
mockel
Looks terrible....I don't even recognise the place :frown:

My mum's frantically phoning her aunty atm- apparently her road (which is right by hte sea) was badly hit.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/media/images/40665000/jpg/_40665167_apseismo300.jpg

looks like annihilation type waves.
Reply 16
LemonLime
hope everything is ok mockel
thank you

saw those pictures on the news today....didn't really mean much to me :s-smilie: (but it's obviously pretty bad)
Reply 17
mockel
thank you

saw those pictures on the news today....didn't really mean much to me :s-smilie: (but it's obviously pretty bad)

yea...i think the picture is good in the fact it shows it flat to start, normal, then just goes off the scale.

the fact it started in the sea makes its worse by factors.

hope all your folks and friends are alright tho :tsr:
Reply 18
watching it on the news, blimey...
Reply 19
mockel
Why the ' :redface: ' ?

You have family in the Maldives?

it was meant to be a :eek: but the smileys are all messed up

Latest

Trending

Trending