The Student Room Group

Travelling before or after university as a mature student

Hello,
My name is Dan, and I would like to explain my circumstance in the hope there may be someone out there who can offer their wisdom and hindsight.
I am 24 years old. I will be 25 in December. In November 2022, I passed my Lvl 3 Business Admin Apprenticeship, and secured continued employment with my employer. I have since been saving to enable me to travel the world, particularly Australia and South-east Asia, at the end of this year, or the start of next.
However, I have also long dreamt of going to university every year for a few years now (excluding Covid period). I have recently checked, visited open days, and found a university and course that I would really like to study. University appeals to me because, unlike my current place of work, I'd be in a socially rich environment with people my own age (or similar). And, because I'd be able to not only study towards a degree and make new friends, but also move out from my parent's house in September and into student accommodation.

I am very torn between these two endeavours. On the one hand, going travelling was my initial plan, and I wouldn't finish university until I was 28 years old if I went this year, meaning my current plan would enable me to travel and backpack before I was this age. Additionally, with turning 25 at the end of this year, I would receive an extra £2,620 in maintenance fees going to uni next year, despite the limitations on my travels doing so would cause.
On the other hand, I have always wanted to go to university, and part of me does feel as though travelling would be better with the relief of having graduated. Not only that, but I can continue to travel during the 3-4 month summer breaks of university, not to Australia and South-east Asia, but most likely Europe and the US. I can also do a semester/year abroad in Australia whilst at university if I chose. Going to university this September involves less hassle and with more immediate effect than that of going travelling this year/start of next.

If anyone else has been in a similar situation or can offer any guidance or their perception on this circumstance, I'd really appreciate it and it would help me so much.

Thank you for taking the time to read this post.
Original post by Dan1298
Hello,
My name is Dan, and I would like to explain my circumstance in the hope there may be someone out there who can offer their wisdom and hindsight.
I am 24 years old. I will be 25 in December. In November 2022, I passed my Lvl 3 Business Admin Apprenticeship, and secured continued employment with my employer. I have since been saving to enable me to travel the world, particularly Australia and South-east Asia, at the end of this year, or the start of next.
However, I have also long dreamt of going to university every year for a few years now (excluding Covid period). I have recently checked, visited open days, and found a university and course that I would really like to study. University appeals to me because, unlike my current place of work, I'd be in a socially rich environment with people my own age (or similar). And, because I'd be able to not only study towards a degree and make new friends, but also move out from my parent's house in September and into student accommodation.

I am very torn between these two endeavours. On the one hand, going travelling was my initial plan, and I wouldn't finish university until I was 28 years old if I went this year, meaning my current plan would enable me to travel and backpack before I was this age. Additionally, with turning 25 at the end of this year, I would receive an extra £2,620 in maintenance fees going to uni next year, despite the limitations on my travels doing so would cause.
On the other hand, I have always wanted to go to university, and part of me does feel as though travelling would be better with the relief of having graduated. Not only that, but I can continue to travel during the 3-4 month summer breaks of university, not to Australia and South-east Asia, but most likely Europe and the US. I can also do a semester/year abroad in Australia whilst at university if I chose. Going to university this September involves less hassle and with more immediate effect than that of going travelling this year/start of next.

If anyone else has been in a similar situation or can offer any guidance or their perception on this circumstance, I'd really appreciate it and it would help me so much.

Thank you for taking the time to read this post.

Hi there,

Current Cardiff Uni student here!

Congratulations on completing your apprenticeship and being offered continuous employment as a result. Can I ask what you want to study and at which university?

I was in a similar place to you when I came to university. I wanted to travel but was applying to university during covid times when it didn't seem to be an option. However, I've managed to travel a lot throughout my degree and get the best of both worlds. Remember you get crazy long holidays while at uni. There are some different ways to do this
- working part-time throughout your degree and going backpacking in the summer. I backpacked Europe at the end of my first year this way.
- Take advantage of university funding to study or take part in an internship abroad. I just returned from a fully funded 5-day trip to Brussels but there are more longer-term options with the Turing Scheme.
- Universities are very international - you never know who you will meet. I backpacked France in the easter of my first year with a university friend and when to visit my first-year housemate in Florida this easter.

I hope these give you some insight into whether you should take a gap year or make the most of your

time at uni. Of course, this is dependent on the time commitment to your degree, if you can work part-time etc.

Jaz - Cardiff student rep
Reply 2
Original post by CardiffUni Rep
Hi there,

Current Cardiff Uni student here!

Congratulations on completing your apprenticeship and being offered continuous employment as a result. Can I ask what you want to study and at which university?

I was in a similar place to you when I came to university. I wanted to travel but was applying to university during covid times when it didn't seem to be an option. However, I've managed to travel a lot throughout my degree and get the best of both worlds. Remember you get crazy long holidays while at uni. There are some different ways to do this
- working part-time throughout your degree and going backpacking in the summer. I backpacked Europe at the end of my first year this way.
- Take advantage of university funding to study or take part in an internship abroad. I just returned from a fully funded 5-day trip to Brussels but there are more longer-term options with the Turing Scheme.
- Universities are very international - you never know who you will meet. I backpacked France in the easter of my first year with a university friend and when to visit my first-year housemate in Florida this easter.

I hope these give you some insight into whether you should take a gap year or make the most of your

time at uni. Of course, this is dependent on the time commitment to your degree, if you can work part-time etc.

Jaz - Cardiff student rep

Hi Jaz, thank you so much for taking the time to read my post and reply. I really appreciate this.
I do feel as though you were lucky in having the restrictions of Covid 19 to aid in your decision making, albeit a terrible tragedy for some.
I recognise the benefits of university summer breaks which you have outlined. But not only summer, you also mentioned others breaks, such as those in Easter? Please can you detail what breaks in education are typically available in a university year, for I have only been made aware on the somewhat 3-4 month (?) summer breaks at the end of the year?
Comparing the pros and cons, going to university this year does seem to trump going travelling, despite the £2,620 I'd miss out on in maintenance allowance. However, that being said, I feel as though my heart is leaning towards travelling, with the prospect of going to university next year. Part of me does cringe at this idea however, as it would mean continuing to live my very mundane life for the next 6 months, living at home, until going travelling in December.

I couldn't thank you more for your input.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending