The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

savio_detaiL
my next door girl's mum and brother was actually in it....

Yeah, someone I know from school had a remarkably lucky escape. They'd been at the sea front in south-west Sri Lanka since the 22nd, and at the time it happened they had decided to go inland to the mountains. When they came back, everything was devastated.
A guy who my brother was friends with at school was on the train in sri lanka where only 10-20 ppl survived (he was one), when he was 18 he was also involved in a near fatal car accident. He's been in several of the papers and been on the news.
Reply 162
That is just so terrible.:dong: I still find it hard to believe. My friends and I at school are starting a fund to contribute money. I'm very disapointed that my country isn't contributing more when England, Australia and Germany have all long passed the $600 million dollar mark. (in us money)
mockel
BBC News
Sky News
The links haven't been updated, but I've heard that there's at least 1000 dead in Sri Lanka, and hundreds more in other South East Asian coutries.

I feel absolutely devastated :frown:
My cousin in (South) India has told us that there were a few hundred who died on the beach closeby. In fact, I've been to someone's house who lives by that beach.
There's also various places in Sri Lanka that I've been to that have probably flooded. And then there's all our relatives/friends visiting Sri Lanka- I have no idea what's happened to them :frown:

I just pray that all goes well.

Gona make a donation?
AmericanChick
That is just so terrible.:dong: I still find it hard to believe. My friends and I at school are starting a fund to contribute money. I'm very disapointed that my country isn't contributing more when England, Australia and Germany have all long passed the $600 million dollar mark. (in us money)

If you consider the expense that it is costing the US military for all that they are doing to transport the donated food to where it needs to go, the US is well over that mark. And really, as great as the contributions from everyone is, the only thing that matters to the people in the devastated regions right now is what they are getting right now, which is most due to the US military.
Reply 165
AmericanChick

This military is currently being used to help out in Asia and has been called one of the largest Military relief operations in history. Almost immediately after the disaster, the US deployed two battle groups to the area- about 25 naval vessels. These ships cost over a billion dollars a piece and house a total of around 22,000 trained personnel. The Military deployment alone will cost our government well over 350 million dollars.

And as for donations- the US as a whole is also well over the 600 million mark.
350 Government aid
200 US Citizen donations
100 Million US corporate donations (in cash)
100 Million US corporate donations (in supplies and services)
+add to that the infinite cost of two battle groups, 22 thousand armed service members, probably around 100-200 planes and helicoptors and you are easily over a billion dollars.

Pretty sad that you are so quick to critisize your own country without knowing any of the facts.
Reply 166
To actually see the wave hit go to, waveofdestruction.org, it is so upsetting so some people might not want to see the videos. But i have just seen one called 'how fragile we are' and i'm shocked..... watch it.
Another kid from my school was in a bungalow with his family when the tsunami came blasting through, sweeping his mother and sister out to sea. Luckily they all survived. Really brings it home when there are people you know who were involved in it...

edit: http://homepage.mac.com/demark/tsunami/9.html :eek:
Reply 168
Does anyone know how I can volunteer in the Midlands to do packing or sorting or something?
Reply 169
Kondar
This military is currently being used to help out in Asia and has been called one of the largest Military relief operations in history. Almost immediately after the disaster, the US deployed two battle groups to the area- about 25 naval vessels. These ships cost over a billion dollars a piece and house a total of around 22,000 trained personnel. The Military deployment alone will cost our government well over 350 million dollars.

How so? Is the US recruiting additional people into it's services to go to Asia?

I don't follow. If these vessels house 22'000 people they'd be paid whether they travel to the Tsunami area or any other area. It's not costing any extra is it? Same for the billion dollar ships.It doesn't cost any more to have them patrolling off of Sri Lanka than patrolling elsewhere does it?
Reply 170
hey
my heart goes out to you. I study geology and followed the tsunamis intially as it interested me but i cant tear myself away from it now, every bit of news. breaks my heart to see those people. just wanted to wish you luck and keep chin up and keep smiling
xx :smile:
Howard
How so? Is the US recruiting additional people into it's services to go to Asia?

I don't follow. If these vessels house 22'000 people they'd be paid whether they travel to the Tsunami area or any other area. It's not costing any extra is it? Same for the billion dollar ships.It doesn't cost any more to have them patrolling off of Sri Lanka than patrolling elsewhere does it?

Actually, there is a great deal of expense involved when the military has to deploy in a new area, because everything has to be transported into the location. Also, the US doesn't just move around ships and men like on a game board. The military must continue to patrol their original locations in addition to the waters of Sri Lanka, just with fewer men working longer hours. My friend's boyfriend now has to work 20 hour shifts, instead of his usual 16. The men get extra compensation for working the longer hours.
Reply 172
its so depressing :frown: Now, ever when the toll has slowed down, there are so many people that need help. And disease could set in at any moment :frown:
Reply 173
apparently david dickenson was out on a beach in thailand when it happened, him and his wife had to climb up a tree :redface: (they're ok tho)

my a level english teacher is out in thailand, she was going to get a train to a beach on the day but the train was full so didnt go.... :eek:
Reply 174
kieshaxxx
Wow, the death toll is actually insane. I still haven't heard any news from my friend who's backpacking around Asia. He's on the Andaman Islands at the moment and I just hope he's going to be ok especially considering the number of deaths on that island is supposed to be around 7000.

I heard a couple of days ago that him and his friend were found and are okay, thankfully.
mum and i just went to thailand last year..... thailand is a lovely place, it had come up to my mind that i want to stay there forever.... and i will going back again if i got chance even though everything was wash away....
god yeah tell me about it! I lost one of my closest friends in that f*ucking tsunami :frown: You don't realise the pain and anguish all those people are feeling when they're finding out their whole house has been destroyed and all their family killed. I lost one person and it has been extreamly painful to accept the fact that i won't ever see her again. I guess the moral in this is value everything you have and enjoy every second of your life. I guess people realise how valuable and essential people are once they're passed away. Ok ill shut up..must be boring everyone.
Just want to wish good luck to all the people who also have lost close ones in the tsunami and I guess we must look for the rainbow after the storm.
luniah xxx
Reply 177
i'm so sorry wild thing, can't imagine how you must feel. especially when there's been loss on such a scale, it must be intensified so much more
Reply 178
Howard

PATHETIC. The extent to which the US is ridiculed for anything it does really amazes me. No one has contributed more to this disaster than the US, yet, captious people such as yourself seem to do nothing but criticise our actions. What do you not understand??

The 420 billion dollars are alloted towards a general military budget. It is used in wartime and in peacetime. It is used to defend ourselves, launch attacks, but it also goes to HELP PEOPLE. When our budget was decided this was taken into account. We are ready for these kinds of disasters year in and year out. It is a direct intention of the US to prepare and therefor be able to make significant contributions to those in aid when these kinds of disasters take place.

We launched these two battle groups (more are on standby) to help in the recovery effort in south east asia because that is one of the things our military does. The 420 billion we spend every year goes towards this.

Get it. Yes. OK?
PM John Howard just came on TV and made an announcement to the nation.

Australia has pledged 1 billion dollars in aid. Not bad for a small country of 19 million. Good effort!

Public donations of the aussie public are reaching 130 million.

Latest

Trending

Trending