The Student Room Group
School of Oriental and African Studies
London

MSc African Studies (SOAS, Edinburgh, Durham)

Hi. I am thinking to apply for the university of Edinburgh and SOAS to study African conflicts. I am interested in studying Swahili, so I think SOAS or Edinburgh would be the best. Which university do you think is better?I got a master's degree on international politics and would like to study more about Africa (such as the AU's military operation towards the civil war). I heard Durham university is famous for that kind of area... I would appreciate if I could get your comments. Thank you.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by YS.
Hi. I am thinking to apply for the university of Edinburgh and SOAS to study African conflicts. I am interested in studying Swahili, so I think SOAS or Edinburgh would be the best. Which university do you think is better?I got a master's degree on international politics and would like to study more about Africa (such as the AU's military operation towards the civil war). I heard Durham university is famous for that kind of area... I would appreciate if I could get your comments.

Edinburgh has an exceptional African studies program that allows you to gain hands own experience while learning about Africa. The center is the best in the UK and it also offers Swahili. I am applying to Edinburgh also and it was recommended to me by my professor who studied who studied at the center. Good luck.
School of Oriental and African Studies
London
Reply 2
Thank you! That sounds great and I became more interested in Edinburgh’s program.
Do you know how hard it is to take Swahili classes in Edinburgh? I’ve been studying Swahili for a year, but I’m not sure if I am good enough to take the module.
Original post by YS.
Thank you! That sounds great and I became more interested in Edinburgh’s program.
Do you know how hard it is to take Swahili classes in Edinburgh? I’ve been studying Swahili for a year, but I’m not sure if I am good enough to take the module.

From what I heard it is the basic level swahili class with a chance to take advanced classes. If you have been studying for a year, my guess is that you will be super prepared to take It. I took a full semester in swahili at my college and it didn’t seem tedious compared to taking mandarin.

You will be good enough to take anything as long as you are disciplined and work really hard don’t cancel yourself out.
Reply 4
Thank you for your kind words. I will think about applying to Edinburgh.

Thank you again and wish you all the best.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending