The Student Room Group

further maths

if I learn further maths given I've already studied a level maths, will it build upon normal a level maths or would I still have to study both ?
Original post by Michael Mcc
if I learn further maths given I've already studied a level maths, will it build upon normal a level maths or would I still have to study both ?

If you already know the a-level math material, why would you need to study it again? (Under any circumstances, regardless of whether you were studying further maths, maths at university, or anything else).

(If you're talking about procedural issues, such as a school requring you to study A-level maths if you want to do FM, that is surely going to depend on the school).
(edited 3 years ago)
I'm having a gap year before I go to university
Original post by DFranklin
If you already know the a-level math material, why would you need to study it again? (Under any circumstances, regardless of whether you were studying further maths, maths at university, or anything else).

(If you're talking about procedural issues, such as a school requring you to study A-level maths if you want to do FM, that is surely going to depend on the school).

I will eventually forget some of the stuff I've learnt.
Original post by Michael Mcc
I will eventually forget some of the stuff I've learnt.

So you're asking if doing FM will be sufficient to stop you forgetting the ordinary maths content?

For the pure content, I'd say FM will essentially be sufficient to maintain what you do in maths. There may be some very minor things you don't brush up on, but nothing important.
I think the applied is a fair bit more compartmentalised though (it also depends on which options you choose). That's probably a bit more problematic.

I will say that if you are doing well in your FM studies, you probably will find it very easy to refresh yourself on anything in the M content should you need it.

For context: I did FM the year after doing M and the only M pure I revised was basically the stuff I'd not really understood the first time round.

Quick Reply

Latest