The Student Room Group

Venn diagram question

Please refer to the attachment. Are there any quick ways to do this question?
(It seems that most people guessed from the spread of chosen answers)

Is it wise to skip this question?
(edited 3 years ago)
For the first three just add the numbers in the relevant circle. For the last one you could just look at the part of less than 10 year old ships that doesn't intersect with other cirlces.
Reply 2
Original post by As.1997
Please refer to the attachment. Are there any quick ways to do this question?
(It seems that most people guessed from the spread of chosen answers)

Is it wise to skip this question?

The question isn't really hard, but will take a couple of mins to draw the Venn diagrams and total them up. aS couple of the comparisons are easy to discount without even drawing the diagram but to be sure draw it.

If time was tight (towards the end of the exam) I may skip it, but it isn't hard.
Reply 3
Original post by mqb2766
The question isn't really hard, but will take a couple of mins to draw the Venn diagrams and total them up. aS couple of the comparisons are easy to discount without even drawing the diagram but to be sure draw it.

If time was tight (towards the end of the exam) I may skip it, but it isn't hard.

If I knew straight away this was a Venn diagram question then I would have drawn a Venn diagram and put values in as I read, but I didn't know, so I had to read the passage first which wasted a lot of time.
Reply 4
Here is my original method.
I was trying to keep track of the number using this.
D=docked, ND= not docked, x= no. of vessels greater than 10yrs, y= no. of vessels that are greater than 10 yrs and not docked.

Note using my method, I can't quite seem to work out the value for option D.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by As.1997
If I knew straight away this was a Venn diagram question then I would have drawn a Venn diagram and put values in as I read, but I didn't know, so I had to read the passage first which wasted a lot of time.

Id get a bit of venn practice in then? The info is reasonably clear, the only "hard" comparison should be the first and last option. By hard, I mean long winded.
Reply 6
Original post by mqb2766
Id get a bit of venn practice in then? The info is reasonably clear, the only "hard" comparison should be the first and last option. By hard, I mean long winded.

The answer for option D is 43. But this doesn't make too much sense to me.
Reply 7
Original post by As.1997

Can you construct the Venn diagram?
Reply 8
Original post by mqb2766
Can you construct the Venn diagram?

Yup
Reply 9
Original post by As.1997

I've come to realize that the 43 is part of the greater than 10, as it is not in the less than 10 category, in the Venn diagram, and in my method.
Original post by As.1997
Yup

It's
43 = 250 - Venn total
That's why it's a bit of a slog. Can't see an obvious way to compute the Venn total quickly. 43 lies outside all the 3 bubbles.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by mqb2766
It's
43 = 250 - Venn total
That's why it's a bit of a slog. Can't see an obvious way to compute the Venn total quickly.

I think now I can see why this is a Venn type question:
1) mentions 3 different categories
2) mentions a total
3) the categories seem to have an overlap
(I believe I should have identified this just by having glance for like 5 seconds)

I think the one bit I find challenging is knowing to put a zero for the "all three region overlap".
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by As.1997
I think now I can see why this is a Venn type question:
1) mentions 3 different categories
2) mentions a total
3) the categories seem to have an overlap
(I believe I should have identified this just by having glance for like 5 seconds)

Yes, it's fairly clear it's a Venn diagram question for the reasons you've given.
Reply 13
Original post by As.1997
I think the one bit I find challenging is knowing to put a zero for the "all three region overlap".

Okay, I feel like this is also fairly clear now as the text implies Panamax ships can only carry a maximum weight of 65,000, and since the ships less than 10yrs can carry a maximum of 85,000, none of these can be Panamax. Therefore, the 3 overlapping regions must be 0.
Original post by As.1997
Okay, I feel like this is also fairly clear now as the text implies Panamax ships can only carry a maximum weight of 65,000, and since the ships less than 10yrs can carry a maximum of 85,000, none of these can be Panamax. Therefore, the 3 overlapping regions must be 0.

Yup
Reply 15
Original post by mqb2766
Yup

Thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest