The Student Room Group
School of Oriental and African Studies
London

SOAS Foundation year

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Anonymous
Hi sorry to disturb you but since we are getting closer to September how was the foundation year at SOAS. Did it go well and was it worth it at the end. My question is if you apply with ucas to change uni after foundation year. Do you put a predicted grade or leave it blank. Thanks

Hi, sorry for the late reply, just seen this... so the year is now over, all assignments done (just waiting on 2 grades back)... and im on track to meeting the conditions of my offer to transfer to the university i want to (however, if i wanted to i could continue my degree at soas). overall the fy was great, lots of support and good variety of content. the only downside to it all was probably the fact it was all online!! but other than that, all good, lmk if you have anymore questions
School of Oriental and African Studies
London
Original post by saifk
Hi, sorry for the late reply, just seen this... so the year is now over, all assignments done (just waiting on 2 grades back)... and im on track to meeting the conditions of my offer to transfer to the university i want to (however, if i wanted to i could continue my degree at soas). overall the fy was great, lots of support and good variety of content. the only downside to it all was probably the fact it was all online!! but other than that, all good, lmk if you have anymore questions

Did you hear back from kings? Or are you taking city’s offer?
Reply 22
Did you hear back from kings? Or are you taking city’s offer?

Accepted my offer from kings!
Original post by saifk
Accepted my offer from kings!

Did LSE make u sit their entrance exam and did u get in.
Reply 24
Original post by meerankhalsai
Did LSE make u sit their entrance exam and did u get in.

nopes, got rejected
U should have applied with an alevel too. Then they would have seen your courseload as rigrous enough.
Reply 26
Original post by an5ever
hi sorry to disturb you but i just have a few questions. i've accepted an offer onto the soas foundation year and i'm hoping to do the same thing as you and possibly transfer to another uni next year (although soas is still a big option in my mind). i just wanted to know when you started contacting the unis and what exactly you asked when asking if they consider foundation year applicants. also what means of communication did you use because i've emailed but i've found i usually get redirected to their website which doesn't help at all. do you know anyone who tried transferring to another uni for law? if so, what unis said they'd accept the foundation year for law? in regards to other degrees, what were the other degrees you came across where people successfully applied to transfer to at another uni with the foundation year? lastly, how much do they care about a levels, do they have some sort of impact in their decision making even if you perform exceptionally well in the foundation year modules? thanks in advance. congrats on your offer btw that's amazing!

hi, so basically i started contacting unis straight away, some take weeks to reply (some not even at all). it was very hard to communicate like this and so i just thought i'll just submit my application to the unis i want and see what happens (because i was still happy to stay at soas). i told them the exact couse i am doing. i know some students who went to do law, accounting, engineering etc... so you can pretty much apply for any course but ofc some unis might have specific exams you need to do still. it didnt seem as though alevels mattered, but of course it would help, but i wouldnt worry too much. you dont get a predicted grade for the fy, the uni will just tell you what percentage they want you to get overall most of the time. hope this helps, lmk if you have any more qs and thank you!!
Reply 27
Original post by saifk
hi, so basically i started contacting unis straight away, some take weeks to reply (some not even at all). it was very hard to communicate like this and so i just thought i'll just submit my application to the unis i want and see what happens (because i was still happy to stay at soas). i told them the exact couse i am doing. i know some students who went to do law, accounting, engineering etc... so you can pretty much apply for any course but ofc some unis might have specific exams you need to do still. it didnt seem as though alevels mattered, but of course it would help, but i wouldnt worry too much. you dont get a predicted grade for the fy, the uni will just tell you what percentage they want you to get overall most of the time. hope this helps, lmk if you have any more qs and thank you!!

Hey! I'm starting the fy in a few weeks now (thank u so much for all the messages even the ones that weren't directed to me were super helpful to read!) Quick question though: how exactly do you submit an application? Is it directly through each uni or do you go through UCAS all over again?
Reply 28
Original post by noknoknok
Hey! I'm starting the fy in a few weeks now (thank u so much for all the messages even the ones that weren't directed to me were super helpful to read!) Quick question though: how exactly do you submit an application? Is it directly through each uni or do you go through UCAS all over again?

Hey, no worries! so you have to submit an application through UCAS and include all of your qualifications
Reply 29
Original post by an5ever
thank you so much for this it was really helpful! im not sure how much you know about this but regarding courses such as econ where a level maths is a required/preferred subject, do you think a bad grade in said subject would affect my application even with a strong fy? sorry if you find that i'm repeating myself but i was just a bit curious seeing as it's a required subject and not just any a level. thanks again for the help and sorry for bombarding you with so many questions :smile:

as far as im aware, doesnt really matter… i did maths alevel and didnt get the best grade sooo 🤷🏾*♂️ really focus on a strong personal statement asw id say
Original post by saifk

hi, i was wondering if your a level results mattered in the application and what they were?? I want to do the same thing as you but my grades were really low
hi, i was wondering if your a level results mattered in the application and what they were?? I want to do the same thing as you but my grades were really low

Yh same question here. I had BBB IN bio chem and psychology.
Reply 32

ngl my grades werent the greatest but it worked out well… so its definitely worth a shot!! focus on a strong ps and getting that reference
Original post by saifk
ngl my grades werent the greatest but it worked out well… so its definitely worth a shot!! focus on a strong ps and getting that reference

Hey do you mind if i ask what were your grades?? and how do i open an application on UCAS like i have 0 idea what to do
Original post by saifk

Hi I was wondering if you get the reference from your A level teachers or from soas
Reply 35
Original post by kianamalik
Hey do you mind if i ask what were your grades?? and how do i open an application on UCAS like i have 0 idea what to do

apply on ucas as an individual, input all your details and grades achieved to date and all modules you are studying at soas
Reply 36
Original post by Mariatou kebe
Hi I was wondering if you get the reference from your A level teachers or from soas

it will be from your personal tutor at soas, speak with them asap so they are aware of the situation and can help you in the best way
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by saifk
it will be from your personal tutor at soas, speak with them asap so they are aware of the situation and can help you in the best way

When did u apply like what month? Secondly, what were your alevel grades if u don't mind. Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending