The Student Room Group
Frenchay Campus, Bristol University of the West of England
University of the West of England, Bristol
Bristol
Visit website

UWE - 2021 entry?

Hi,

So, basically, I've just had a really bad experience at uni this year and have ended up dropping out and taking a year out.

I'm looking into where to go next year and I'm trying to stick fairly local (somewhat difficult because the closest universities to me are at least an hours drive away). One place I've been looking at is UWE for Creative and Professional Writing.

I'd like to ask anyone who is at/has been to UWE:

What are the wellbeing/mental health services there like?

How supportive are lecturers? How much work is wholly independent or based on self-research?

Is there support for people who struggle with self-research?

What is the uni life there like? I'm a quiet/anxious and sober person so I'm trying to avoid somewhere that's overly party-like.

If there's anything else of note that people feel would be useful to me as well as answers to these questions, I'd appreciate that. Thank you.
Reply 1
I can't answer your questions myself but it looks ljke we're interested in the same course! If you do decide to go I'll see you there, hopefully it'll be a better experience for you! I'm also curious about what life is there is like, the only things from students I found was from over 4 years ago.
Frenchay Campus, Bristol University of the West of England
University of the West of England, Bristol
Bristol
Visit website
Original post by userhep
Hi,

So, basically, I've just had a really bad experience at uni this year and have ended up dropping out and taking a year out.

I'm looking into where to go next year and I'm trying to stick fairly local (somewhat difficult because the closest universities to me are at least an hours drive away). One place I've been looking at is UWE for Creative and Professional Writing.

I'd like to ask anyone who is at/has been to UWE:

What are the wellbeing/mental health services there like?

How supportive are lecturers? How much work is wholly independent or based on self-research?

Is there support for people who struggle with self-research?

What is the uni life there like? I'm a quiet/anxious and sober person so I'm trying to avoid somewhere that's overly party-like.

If there's anything else of note that people feel would be useful to me as well as answers to these questions, I'd appreciate that. Thank you.

Heya,

I dropped out of uni and then went to UWE a couple of years afterwards, and I can say it's the best (incredibly biased obviously)!

They have a ton of study and mental health support, though I think a lot has been more difficult to offer with Covid.

I found my lecturers really great, they're real people and not just academics/boffins which makes the lectures more interesting and more grounded in reality (I did Accounting and Finance so that was really useful)! The amount of work that is class/lecturer led varies between probably 15 and 45% (it drops as you go up through the years as you'll have larger projects and assignments to do), but they're often on hand if you have a query through email or office hours :smile:

There is support with the ASC - Academic Success Centre - and course-related librarians as well, who are really knowledgeable and can help you with research and referencing, etc.

It's pretty party heavy if you want it to be, no worries if not though - I started there at like 22 and by the end I wasn't fancying partying etc (and didn't have much time to either, to be honest) but there are plenty of people there, some of whom will enjoy that and some who won't so you'll be able to find others with a similar mindset; once the 2021 UWE Freshers page is made on Facebook join that and you can ask in there :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending