The Student Room Group

Optometry

I'm looking to study optom at uni. My gcse grades are 8777666555 (5 in English language and 5 in maths) and my a levels are biology psychology and politics. What unis can I apply to idm doing foundation years. Ik I can go cardiff uni with foundation year and plymouth without but where else can I go
Reply 1
Omg someone please reply to this. I’m on the same page as you and have 8777666655 gcse grades. I do biology, pyschology and sociology and super interested in optometry but I only do one science.
Ucl has an optometrist foundation year on their page
(edited 5 months ago)
Reply 2
Original post by D17Hio
I'm looking to study optom at uni. My gcse grades are 8777666555 (5 in English language and 5 in maths) and my a levels are biology psychology and politics. What unis can I apply to idm doing foundation years. Ik I can go cardiff uni with foundation year and plymouth without but where else can I go

UWE bristol also accept psychology as a science so you can go there without a foundation year
(edited 5 months ago)
Reply 3
Original post by D17Hio

I found this other post from user named ‘datavena’ from a year ago and I thought it could be helpful (not my post)

Some universities list psychology in their list of sciences for entry to their optometry degree.
For example:

UWE Bristol - Optometry - BSc(Hons) - "Tariff points: 136" / "Grade A and B from two of thefollowing: Maths, Use of Maths, Physics, Chemistry, Biology/Human Biology, Applied Scienceor Psychology.

"University of Plymouth - BSc (Hons) Optometry - "AAB from three A levels. Two A levels mustcome from either maths, use of maths, physics, chemistry, biology/human biology, appliedscience, or psychology."Others include an additional year, making it a four-year degree, and adjust the entryrequirements accordingly. For example: Cardiff University -

Optometry with a Preliminary Year (BSc) - "ABB-BBB. Including amaximum of one science subject from Biology, Chemistry, Maths, and Physics." (I assumetheir use of the word "maximum" rather than "minimum" is a typo, but you meet therequirement either way!)Another route would be to take a separate one-year "foundation" qualification which can thenbe used to access the normal undergraduate degree.
For example:City,

University of London - Introduction to Optometry Foundation Course - "BCC to includeone subject from Biology, Chemistry, Mathematics or Physics." / "Progress to our BScOptometry course on successful completion of this course"

So, you have several different routes to enable you to study Optometry with those A levels -but Manchester isn't one of them. (BTW, the list above is not exhaustive; these are justexamples.)
(edited 5 months ago)
What are the average entry requirments because aston has entry requirements of AAA if you do 2 science subjects and AAB if you do 3. Is that high compared to other Universities?
(edited 5 months ago)
Original post by D17Hio

Hi D17Hio! :smile:

I'm an undergraduate student rep here at Plymouth! I study Zoology but if you have any questions related to the uni, campus, or city in general please feel free to reach out and ask any questions you might have and I'd be happy to answer them!

We also have student reps from most courses on Unibuddy which you can find here if you have any specific course-related questions!

Best of luck with your uni application!

- Alfie, University of Plymouth Undergraduate Student Rep :h:
Reply 6
Original post by D17Hio

This is kinda crazy. My GCSE grades and my a level are almost identical to urs (bio,psyc,english) and i want to do an optom degree. im looking to do a foundation yr at City of london. Entry requirements are pretty low (BCC) and u dont need chem or maths.
(edited 5 months ago)
Reply 7
Thank you for so many replies guys who knows we might end up going to the same uni😭😭 icl I'm gonna prioritise Cardiff uni as it seems really good but now ik have many options so I'm more relieved 😭
i applied for city optom intro as a back up(plan on taking a gap year so applied incase i dont do well and. i have a uni to fall back on and wont take gap year) :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest