The Student Room Group

How hard is it to get a job in biomedical sciences?

Hiii,
So I've been looking into doing biomedical sciences at uni, specifically Bristol uni. I have been accepted into their access course for biomedical sciences, and honestly, I can't wait. But I've been looking into it a bit more, and I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do after uni. If anyone knows, please please answerr :smile: There are so many jobs, but I'm just not sure, I've heard it's really hard to get a good job, with that degree. I don't want to go to uni, and get a degree that won't get me anywhere. if that makes sense? :/ For the jobs, I was also wondering about the pay. I really want to get a good job, that pays really well. If anyone has any ideas, please say something :smile:
Original post by Rose_24
Hiii,
So I've been looking into doing biomedical sciences at uni, specifically Bristol uni. I have been accepted into their access course for biomedical sciences, and honestly, I can't wait. But I've been looking into it a bit more, and I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do after uni. If anyone knows, please please answerr :smile: There are so many jobs, but I'm just not sure, I've heard it's really hard to get a good job, with that degree. I don't want to go to uni, and get a degree that won't get me anywhere. if that makes sense? :/ For the jobs, I was also wondering about the pay. I really want to get a good job, that pays really well. If anyone has any ideas, please say something :smile:

What do you actually want to do after uni?
Reply 2
Original post by TheStarboy
What do you actually want to do after uni?

I have absolutely no idea. Just wondered about jobs after a biomed degree. I'm currently doing biology, chemistry, and geography at a-level. So something very sciency appeals a lot to me yk.
Original post by Rose_24
Hiii,

What is it that has you excited about doing biomedical sciences then?

The "obvious" career move after a biomedical sciences degree is to go into research or to work as a biomedical scientist in an NHS pathology lab (I believe the Bristol course is accredited, which you need to pursue this path). If the thought of working in a lab appeals to you as a career then great, but if not I don't blame you (as someone in this position right now). There are of course other options-transitioning to teaching science at school, working in scientific communication etc. Or you could leave science altogether and go down a different route altogether.
Original post by Rose_24
I have absolutely no idea. Just wondered about jobs after a biomed degree. I'm currently doing biology, chemistry, and geography at a-level. So something very sciency appeals a lot to me yk.

Do your research and narrow your options to at most 5 careers. Then you can continue during this year. Having some sort of end goal is a massive improvement for knowing what you want in the future
Research is key. Whittle down your options to five only then make a decision.
Depends on uni and stuff, obviously from a prestigious one you have no problem finding entry-level jobs like DNA analysts although I must say those are very boring and low paid.
To get a semi decent job at big pharma you 100% need a PhD and probably years of experience as postdoc + high impact papers + some luck.

If you want good jobs and ez money just sit out a year and re-apply for medicine/pharmacy/computer science etc...One year is nothing compared to wasting 3 years + tuition fees and end up not numerate enough to compete with other STEM students in the job market.

P.S Problem with biomed is that it has too many people. Look at KCL, half of all their departments are bio-related.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Rose_24
Hiii,

not worth doing unless you get a PhD or get a white collar related job.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending